PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw table rust/oxidation prevents turning

Eileen Nicholson
03-21-2007, 5:09 PM
Sometime after a basement flood of only 2 inches, I found that I could no longer swivel my Delta chop saw at all. It has the powdery white/gray oxidation from humidity on the table. I have removed the fence, applied WD-40 and let it soak in. All to no avail. Has anyone had this problem and what else can I do to fix it?? Thanks for you input. -Eileen

Greg Sznajdruk
03-21-2007, 5:19 PM
This response may start a small tempest in a tea pot. WD-40 is not a lubricant. WD stands for " water displacement". I'd try a lubricant and see it this helps. Also what Delta chop saw are you asking about? The swivel controls are under the bed of the saw. You may have to take it apart to clean and lubricate.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Greg Cole
03-21-2007, 5:33 PM
If the oxidation is on anything aluminum, the annodizing gave up the ghost. Sorry to say, but there is little you can do for that, once that pretty clear coating goes bye bye ,it's gone.
I might not be dead on here as I can't see what you are specifically talking about, but usually aluminum turns white or black when it has oxidized or the clear coating has failed... much like the pretty shiny wheels on a new car that are milky white 5 years later from road salt etc.

Greg

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-21-2007, 5:46 PM
Try a bit of Kero. I've mixed kero and laquer thinner to get it to penetrate better and then there is wintergreen oil you can get that at a pharmacy. I have heard about guys in avaitation using that as a pentrating oil.

After you get it apart lube it with a good moly lube.

Todd Burch
03-21-2007, 6:12 PM
I would take, what is now what I would call a piece of junk since it is locked up, the saw and disassemble it, sand all the oxidation off, and put 'er back together and move on the to the next task. A real light coat of light oil or thin grease might be in order too.

Ted Miller
03-21-2007, 7:03 PM
WD-40 is spray naptha...

Brian Dormer
03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Have you considered some of the commercial rust remover/cleaners? I forget what the name is - but I get mine at woodcraft and the stuff works well (on less rusty tools).

I know WD 40 isn't supposed to be the greatest, but I've used it in a pinch with success. I think you are beyond that point - you need serious rust removal.