PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Compressor Specs

Matt Lentzner
03-21-2007, 4:53 PM
I want to get a compressor to run some nail guns, but I am unclear about what capacity and CFM I would need.

I will be doing mostly brad nailing, but also stapling and finish nailing (shoe and crown molding in my house). I would also like to have enough capacity to run a framing nailer for the occasional small framing project. Maybe a palm nailer would be sufficient?

Ideally I'd like to get one of those packages that include guns and a small compressor. They run about $200-$300 and include two or three guns plus a small 2-6 gal oil-less compressor - a great deal. PC and DeWalt come to mind. In spite of the good deal I don't want to buy something that I will immediately be unhappy with because it can't do everything I need.

As usual, your advice is greatly appreciated,

Matt

Kip Kussman
03-21-2007, 5:33 PM
Matt
Those pancake compressors should serve you fine. We use them in the field all day long and have several different ones and they all pretty much work the same. The porter cable package is a good deal. The only thing I would stay away from with a pancake is spraying finishes. Just not enough CFM,s .

Kip

Joe Chritz
03-21-2007, 5:57 PM
Any pancake compressor is way bigger than you need for a brad nailer.

A standard pancake will run two roofing nail guns running pretty much constant. It will cycle a lot but it will keep up.

If you plan on using it mostly in a shop setting and want plumbed air lines and possibly spray equipment you will need to look bigger.

Pancakes have a huge advantage of being very portable. My shop compressor is "portable" but not if you have to load it into a vehicle.

Joe

Matt Lentzner
03-21-2007, 6:10 PM
Thanks for the comments so far. It's a big help.

Specifically, there is a DeWalt package with a brad and finish nailer that is 2 SCFM and a 2 gal single hotdog oiless. I am pushing it here? The attraction is that this particular compressor is fairly quiet at ~80db and would be nice in that it won't drive my family and neighbors nuts when I use it (I'm hoping).

The PC package is three gun (for just a bit more money) and a 2.6 SCFM 6 gal oiless pancake, but supposedly very loud.

Matt

Todd Burch
03-21-2007, 6:14 PM
The compressor is loud, but it will work. I run an old Thomas oilless pancake with a Sence SFN60 framing gun all the time - no problems.

Todd

John Renzetti
03-21-2007, 9:22 PM
hi, I have a small Thomas dual tank portable that I can run a Senco finish nailer with no problems. I think I paid about $275 for it.
take care.
John

John Hain
03-21-2007, 9:39 PM
Get a cheapo if you're only running nail guns. Harbor Freight would be my choice.

Joe Mioux
03-21-2007, 9:53 PM
I have a itty bitty little Senco compressor that I got with an 18 ga brad nailer package a few years ago.

That little compressor has not only worked well for nailing, bradding etc, but also aire up bike tires, the rear tires on a Scag zero turn mower and even inflated mini van tires. It took some with the latter but it worked in a pinch.

It is quite and light weight.

I also have a larger compressor at my real job, but this little Senco works just fine for small jobs around the house.

Joe