PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth video

Brian McInturff
03-21-2007, 2:48 PM
I watched video #3 last night and I would have to say it is by far one of the best video's I've seen on the use of the bowl gouge and turning. There were various other tips and tricks I picked up on there also. After a year and a half of turning I always had some trouble with the bowl gouge. Too agressive, not even, and tear out being some of the issues. I went out to the shop last night and tried the adjustments of the angle I was holding it and the position and Wha La! If you haven't seen it, and it's an old video(1994), I'd highly recommend it. Are the other 2 videos as good as #3?
Brian

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 4:47 PM
Even better is taking David's three-day seminar at his studio...coincidentally about 25 minutes from here. Outstanding experience for anyone of any skill level, especially for beginner and intermediate turners. "Back to basics". A lot of fun and even good food...there are pics on my web site of my own class back in 2001.

George Morris
03-21-2007, 7:19 PM
I second that, my expierence at his class was great, cannot say enough about him and his wife as to their friendly, caring, helpful and all around the way they make you feel welcome. His teaching was excelent ,it is rare that you can learn from one of the true masters. Well worth the cost. The food was very good as was the company of the other turners... George

Brian McInturff
03-21-2007, 8:07 PM
That's not fair guys. And Jim, you live way to close to him. I'd be over there all the time. He'd think I was his adopted son. :D Brian

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 8:23 PM
Brian, a few years ago, David bought a very fast car I understand...he'd be able to escape quite easily...

But seriously, consider giving yourself his class (or getting someone else to give you his class :) )...it will be some of the best money you'll invest in your turning. If you'll pardon the expression...it was a turning point for me that made a big difference in my ability to work comfortably and consistently at the lathe. And with the investment I have in Stubbalina, I'm very glad of it!

Brian McInturff
03-21-2007, 8:37 PM
I may have to put that down for next years class. His price is worth it considering you get 3 meals a day also. Any chance you know how far in advance he books since his class is limited to 5. Thanks, Brian

Ed Hughes
03-21-2007, 9:17 PM
Brian, each time I have contacted him it is at least 6 months lead time. I am scheduled for November 07. Just drop him a email for the latest dates.