PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Spindle Size

Kim Ford
03-21-2007, 2:25 PM
I have an Oliver 2255 with a 1 7/8 X 8tpi spindle. I'm finding it is not easy to get faceplates and or an adapter. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thanks

Kim

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 2:33 PM
Relatively speaking...three choices:

Have accessories custom made
Have a spindle adapter precision machined to allow use of more common 1 1/4" x 8 TPI accessories
Have a new spindle machined for your lathe with 1 1/4" x 8 TPI (Not necessarily practical)

TYLER WOOD
03-21-2007, 4:14 PM
Agreed that custom making a spindle adapter or custom accessories.

By the way, welcome to the Creek Kim!! Great tool in that oliver!!!

Jonathon Spafford
03-21-2007, 7:22 PM
Welcome to the forum, Kim... the more the merrier!!!!!

Kim Ford
03-22-2007, 9:13 AM
Relatively speaking...three choices:

Have accessories custom made
Have a spindle adapter precision machined to allow use of more common 1 1/4" x 8 TPI accessories
Have a new spindle machined for your lathe with 1 1/4" x 8 TPI (Not necessarily practical) Thank you. I did a lot of bowl turning 10 years ago, and am just getting back into it with this new (to me) machine. I have pretty much resolved to do the adapter. The unit came with a very nice 10" 3 jaw chuck and I have one faceplate so on the inboard side I'm not completely stopped. The chuck I would like to get is the Stronghold and be able to mount it inboard or outboard.

I do very little between centers and the outboard side is Oliver's pressed on faceplate, so at minimum I will have built a custom adapter to get a spindle on the outboard. 1 1/4 x 8tpi or 1 1/2 x 8tpi ?

I did put a VFD on the motor and boy is that cool. It also gives me forward and reverse so I assume RH threads on both ends is the way to go?

Lewis Farr
03-22-2007, 3:43 PM
The chuck I would like to get is the Stronghold and be able to mount it inboard or outboard.
Oneway will make custom adapters to mount their Stronghold chuck on your lathe.:)

http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm

Christopher K. Hartley
03-22-2007, 3:58 PM
another couple of options are:

Making some wooden faceplates,http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/WoodenFaceplate/WoodenFaceplates.htm

Re-drilling and taping a faceplate just a bit smaller than the size you need:)

Curt Fuller
03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I turn on an Oliver 159 and it has a 1 1/8" x 8tpi spindle. That's not one of the standard sizes that is usually listed in the catalogs. But when I was getting an insert for my Oneway Talon I seem to remember something on their website that said they can make about any custom sized inserts. Look them up and give them a call. They're in the turning business firsthand unlike a lot of turning suppliers that are just middlemen and they always seem to enjoy a challenge.

bruce norton
03-26-2007, 6:26 PM
This Oliver is too large for the Oneway chucks. the maximum spindle size for a Stronghold chuck is 1 1/2". You have a 1 7/8". I am planning to make some faceplates and maybe other accessories for a Oliver 2359 which my friend Phil Smith has. It has the same thread size as yours but I do not know when I will catch up enough to make them. I have about 11 machines waiting for me to repair now. :)

Kim Ford
03-27-2007, 1:33 PM
Thanks Bruce; When you get around to making parts and pieces, if you want to make a few extra zap me at kford@zilber.com. Thanks