PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Signs

mike klein
03-21-2007, 2:07 PM
Seems to me this subject was covered on the board some time ago but I can't find it. Our local hospital is wanting some sliding signs for the doctors. Basicaly what this is the name will be engraved on a 2" x 8" plastic mounted on the left side of a substrate (not yet determined), and on the right side, a slideable piece with the wording ''IN" and "OUT" being exposed when the plate is moved. I was thinking there may be a company out there making something like this but it may have to be made from scratch.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
03-21-2007, 2:48 PM
If you use engraving stock (Rowmark,IPI) then use a 2x8 metal frame for the name, and place a 2x4 next to it. If you place the same color of vinyl on the face of the 2x4 frame, with the vinyl lettering to match the name color, with a few spaces between the IN and OUT then cut a piece of the engraving stock 2"x2" to slide. You add a drop of glue into the end of the channels in the 2x4 frame to keep it from sliding out. If you don't so vinyl lettering then for the in/out use laserlights in the same colors.

I've also made them from scratch by using rowmark mounted on acrylic. I used a double layer of 1/8" acrylic for the base and had the rowmark stick out top and bottom.

Then another piece of Romark 2"x2" with no engraving slides to cover in or out by cementing appropraite sizes of acrylic behind it.

That may be hard to visualize without a drawing.

mike klein
03-21-2007, 3:08 PM
Thanks for the tip Joe. I was thinking the same thing, usind a mix of Romark or IPI material along with vinyl. They don't want the plates engraved from the front side mainly for cleaning reasons so my other thought was to use reverse engraved material but using vinyl makes it even easier yet.

Mike

James Rambo
03-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I work for a local hospital during the day and sometimes supply and engrave signs for them at night. I got a sign as you are needing from JOHNSONS PLASTICS. it worked great. It can be seen on my webpage (although it's a bad picture) jllaser.net