PDA

View Full Version : Puzzles

Dean Strickland
03-21-2007, 2:01 PM
I need somebody's expert advice here.
I have a request to make some puzzles for toddlers. Basic shapes and names. The problem I am having is the kerf is too narrow and the shapes are too tight to fit into the base, making it impossible for the toddlers to use them.
I am trying to find a way to map the pieces to do a double vector cut so that they have a few thousands of an inch gap so they slide into place easier.
I have also found out I need to make the pieces symmetrical so they can go in place no matter what direction they try to insert it.
Does anyone know how to accomplish this short of having to sand each piece down?

Mike Mackenzie
03-21-2007, 2:25 PM
Dean,

If I am understanding what you are asking I would contour to the inside of each pc a couple of thousandths. This should make the pcs smaller and easier to put together.

Joe Pelonio
03-21-2007, 2:26 PM
In corel if you select the whole puzle, cut, paste (without moving it) there will be two sets of lines on top of each other. When sent to the laser they will cut twice. You could even do that 3-4 times. The other option is to do a contour on each line, very small like .0001 then cut it and the original lines.

Oddly though with all the puzzles I have done (acrylic) the fit has not been too tight.

For the symetrical thing just do whatever shapes you want for one half, then copy, paste and mirror it, and place them side by side.

Ed Maloney
03-21-2007, 2:28 PM
This thread from the past may have some info....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26908

Shaddy Dedmore
03-21-2007, 8:57 PM
Can you give every line you want more kerf on a thickness, then convert to BMP, then trace outline (not centerline)? That would laser cut lines really close together, not just the same spot a few times.

Shaddy

Mike Hood
03-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Or... Ctrl-D to duplicate the object... nudge the size and then nudge the location back.

I have to use this method all the time in fitting balsa airplane parts.

Dean Strickland
03-23-2007, 2:55 AM
Contour - what a concept. I have been beating my head against a wall forever trying to get this and here it is.
I think I have convinced the wife I need to get into a Corel class. What a powerful program, and I know I have only touched on the basics of it!

Thanks all!