PDA

View Full Version : Importing PDF files

Scott Shepherd
03-21-2007, 11:39 AM
A had a potential customer that I was meeting and I wanted to do something for them, with their logo on it, and when I went to their website, they had many pdf files that all had their logo. So, I thought "Yaaahhhhh Hoooooooo, I'm home free".

Well, that didn't work. Couldn't open them in Corel V12. It kept saying that the file was currupt. Upon inspection of the file, I was guessing that because they had the pdf file security settings all maxed out, that I had solved the problem. If the security settings are all in place when the pdf is created, then it won't import, I'm guessing.

So, yesterday, I had a customer hand me a printed copy of a page of his website that has his logo on it. Can't use it because it's done in a Flash movie, so I found a load of pdf files on his site that all have his company logo. Checked security settings on the documents and it's all wide open. Free to copy anything in the file, so the security settings are set on that pdf file.

One is 4 pages, with the logo on page 3. I made a mistake and opened page 4. No problem, opened right up. Closed that, went to open page 3. Error, file is currupt message. Tried the entire document, same message. Found another file, same settings, downloaded it, went to import the page with the logo, same message.

I've tried importing it and I've tried opening it from scratch in Corel. Both yield the same result.

Any ideas on how to get this logo? Is this a V12 issue?

Joe Pelonio
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
It depends on how the PDF was made. I have had no trouble with them until people started sending me PDFs created in Corel X3 or Illustrator CS2, those I couldn't open in Corel 12. Also, a pdf created from a vector file is still going to have the lines, but a pdf created from a bitmap is still a bitmap so can not be used to cut, only to engrave. You can open the pdfs with Adobe Acrobat Reader, then print and scan, or ask them for a file you can open.

Kim Vellore
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Scott,
Just a few days back I had similar problem, The PDF file was protected. There are many ways around it if it is not protected

Try to copy from Acrobat reader and past it in Corel that is sure to work. There are many programs on the net (legal) that can crack the PDF file protection, but a cracked PDF file comes as corrupted when you try to import in Corel, but it allows you to cut and paste from Acrobat reader to Corel Draw.
Kim

Scott Shepherd
03-21-2007, 1:00 PM
Thanks Kim, that's exactly what I ended up doing prior to seeing your post. I opened it in Acrobat and hit the select button and clicked on the image and it lite up! I was pleasantly surprised, so I copied it to the clipboard and pasted it in Corel and it engraved nicely.

Thanks for the help.

Joe, does X3 solve the problem, do you know? I keep looking for a reason to go X3 :)

Joe Pelonio
03-21-2007, 1:26 PM
I don't know because I haven't made that jump yet either, mainly because I'm so backed up with laser work I can't take the time to install and learn X-3 until I get through these jobs. Probably within a month or two. It would probably not help with the protection issue, just with the higher versions.

Thanks to you and Kim for the copy/paste thing.

Rodne Gold
03-22-2007, 12:45 AM
I think its a ver 12 bug , X3 has no such issues. Its well worth installing X3 as there are some new tools that make life a ton easier for designing laser work etc such as smart fill and create boundary etc. There is also not much of a learning curve from 12 to x-3.

Mike Null
03-22-2007, 5:33 AM
Joe:

Do yourself a favor and install X3. The differences are minor and the benefits of file opening and tracing are clearly helpful.

I keep V11 on my pc but rarely use it and didn't install it on my new laptop.

There is a patch out for X3 so be sure to download that.

Jeff Lehman
03-22-2007, 8:23 AM
I know most folks in our line don't purchase it, but for image extraction, the pro version of Adobe Acrobat and others less expensive will extract images from a PDF that isn't locked down.

If you don't find a solution, you can email me the file and I can extract the images and email them back to you...

Regards

Jeff
jwlehman@laconialaser.com

Larry Bratton
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I use a program called Paperport 11 Professional a lot. It works with PDF's very well. Many times, when I run across something that I want to manipulate, I will print from Adobe to Paperport (which is a virtual printer). Then Paperport will allow me to re-save as a tiff although it comes in as a PDF (or other bitmap format). I can then copy any part of the document, change it, edit it, and then save it BACK to PDF, all in the same program. If you need to capture a logo for tracing you can do so.
I also have Adobe 7.0 Professional. It has a snapshot feature where any part of a document can be copied to the clipboard. The Paperport 11 Professional is a good program to own for a myriad of purposes. I use it extensively for all kinds of business documents. I use it for architectural submittals and anything that needs a graphic in it.