PDA

View Full Version : oliver jointer

joe aiello
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I have on old Oliver pattern-makers jointer(16") two knife head with the the four hole bolt head for fastening; the babbitt looks like it is in great shape. Is anyone using this machine as is? I am refurbishing(mostly cleaning) this and would like to do this project only once(get it operational). Also I like to replace the flat belt the appropriate pulley and v-belts. Any Oliver people out there? What do you think? ---joe

Kirk Poore
03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I have on old Oliver pattern-makers jointer(16") two knife head with the the four hole bolt head for fastening; the babbitt looks like it is in great shape. Is anyone using this machine as is? I am refurbishing(mostly cleaning) this and would like to do this project only once(get it operational). Also I like to replace the flat belt the appropriate pulley and v-belts. Any Oliver people out there? What do you think? ---joe

By "four hole bolt head" do you mean a clamshell head? This would be a thick piece of steel, crescent in cross section, with several large bolts holding it in place and clamping down in the knife, like this (originally posted on the OWWM.org discussion group):

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/woodshope/jointeraccident002.jpg

Unfortunately, as you can see, this type of head can fail catastrophically if one of the bolts comes loose or breaks. If you have this kind of head, I would suggest replacing it.

Other than that, use the jointer. Replace any wicking material in the oil reserviors, and fill with non-detergent 30 weight oil. I'd use at least a 3hp motor (5 hp would be better). When you change pulleys, aim for about 4000 RPM cutterhead speed. The babbitt won't like it much higher than that. If the bearings get quite warm compared to the machine, they're not getting enough oil. A little warming is expected, but hot is not.

OWWM.org has several folks with big Oliver jointers, including one guy who just replaced his clamshell head. You can get more info there if you need it.

Kirk

Rick Lizek
03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Have rebuilt a newer Oliver 16" jointer from the 50's. Had to have the tables ground. I don't care for the clamshell heads. Not as safe as the modern heads. A bit more difficult to adjust the knives. If the machine is priced right you might consider the tersa head. You could use the tersa head with the babbitt bearings. Nothing wrong with babbitt bearings. You can pull the tables apart to set the knives off the head. Due to the double pedestal base table alignment is critical. If you move the machine you will have to readjust the tables completely. I do like the table incline adjuster. Much better than a parallogram set up. the Crescent uses a similar adjuster but the base makes it easier to move the jointer without throwing the tables off. You will need a 6' straight edge and feeler gauge to adjust the tables. Expect to take 4 or 5 hours adjusting it for the first time.

Brian Weick
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM

I am not sure what you are asking Joe? Are you inquiring about restoration on the jointer? I would disassemble it and strip it down write to the cast iron and check all your parts over good for wear and tare and see if anything needs replacement or adjustment. Prime it with a ferrous primer and a good oil base paint for a final coat.
Brain