PDA

View Full Version : Your ideas-Shop cabinet for small tools??

Jerry Olexa
03-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Planning on building a small tool cabinet for the various things around the shop: chisels, sandpaper, planes, small tools/parts. Thinking of a under bench top cabinet with drawers (with dividers), possibly with rollers on bottom legs. A wall mount would not work in my present setup. Like to see your ideas before I start.. Thanks much.

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm about to do the same, Jerry...I have my Lee Valley casters ready and just have to get some material and deal with the time. Mine will be about 36" wide and about 35" tall off the floor since it will tuck away behind my slider when I don't need it out and about. I'm thinking about a set of graduated height drawers (full width) with smaller things at the top.

Paul Johnstone
03-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but making a the top be a giant router table. It would serve double duty as a support table for the right side of the miter saw.

I'm thinking of making it 4' long by 32-36" wide.. I know that's crazy big for a router table, but my current miter saw support table is 4' long by about 24" deep, so it won't cost me that much more floor space. I want it long because my current router table is only 24" long, and that's made it a challenge to mill long pieces. I'm making it real wide because I got a 18" jointech fence and I might as well make the table real long, plus I'm drooling over all the drawer space.. With dividers in the drawers, hopefully it won't get too disorganized.

Also, I'll put it on casters as well.

Andrew Williams
03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Is this what you were thinking of? I dont keep chisels in it though, would have to make custom slotted beds for them.

Al Willits
03-21-2007, 1:12 PM
Thinking of something like Andrew has only the top will be a pan to put currently used tools on, can just wheel it around to whatever bench/table I'm at and have the tools close by.
Maybe a bit smaller though.
Hoping to keep a few of them tools from getting wanderlust and disappearing..

Al

Joe Chritz
03-21-2007, 1:21 PM
I plan on refinishing an old roll around mechanics tool chest for just this sort of thing. An oversized add on top, probably a small torsion box design will allow for another work surface.

If I didn't have one that was doing nothing special I would build a cabinet similar in size and shape to it.

I like the ideas of wheels, as no matter where it is sitting now it is in the way of something at some time.

Joe

glenn bradley
03-21-2007, 1:42 PM
Andrew,

That is much more beautiful than mine. Of course, mine's been beat on for a couple years. Maybe it's time for an upgrade ;-)

I think this may be off the mark for th OP but it may add some ideas to his final design. Three vise positions on the back and deep end. Height allows use as an out feed table. General slam-bang multi-purpose rolling worktable. BTW, definitly wheels if the top is to be a work area. This poor guy gets used for everything.

Jerry Olexa
03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys. Some good ideas.I like both of yours, Andrew and Glenn. Great job. Mine would probably be a bit smaller and for smaller tools (chisels, sandpaper, etc). Key would be, like Jim B., to be able to slide under the overhang to save space and still be functional. I too would probably go smallest drawers at top for smallest items. I'm probably going to build it out of walnut or cherry as I overbought on the last few deals available. Any more ideas?? Thanks again..

Bill Marcheck
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Popular Woodworking has plans for something called a "German Work Box". It's been on my list of things to build. It looks like if you search there is a pdf of the plans available for free.

Bill

James Carmichael
03-22-2007, 1:28 PM
Jim Toplin's Toolbox Book is full of ideas. There's an entire chapter on rolling tool carts. It's a fun read.

Eric Wong
03-24-2007, 2:27 PM
OK, its not exactly small, or mobile. But I thought I would post anyway.

mike bailey
04-07-2007, 2:35 PM
This is my wall hung tool cabinet

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 2:37 PM
I'd love to build a wall-hung cabinet for my Neander tools like Mike's...'cept I'd need to build a wall to hang it on...:rolleyes: (VERY nice, Mike!)

Jerry Olexa
04-07-2007, 7:57 PM
This is my wall hung tool cabinet

Mike Beautiful....Excellent work...Thanks

Mike Scoggins
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Jerry,

I saw your OP, but didn't respond because I was not complete with the portable cabinets I've been working on.

I finally finished. Here's a link to a separate post that shows them.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56339

Mike