PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Sawing/tensioning...(interesting)

Ron Bible
03-21-2007, 6:55 AM
Here is a site that relates some interesting tips on sawing/resawing on a bandsaw. These may not be new to some, but I thought I would pass them on. Thanks...R.B
http://www.ebandsawblades.com/custom.aspx?id=4

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 9:37 AM
Interesting site, Ron...it's the PA location for Suffolk Machinery...I thought that the text looked familiar!

Mike Cutler
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Yep, looks like T-wolves literature.

Has anybody ever done this, and what were the results?

Quote from text.

"For proper lubrication mix HIGH ADHESION CHAIN SAW BAR OIL, with 50% kerosene or diesel fuel. Apply the solution with a spray bottle to BOTH sides of the band saw blade about once every four minutes, while the machine is running. When this lubrication is applied, the sound of cutting decreases over 50%. DO NOT APPLY AGAIN until the sound of cutting starts increasing. I guarantee you will be amazed! Longer life; No pitch buildup; No rusted or pitted band saw blades! A great delivery system is the 12 volt windshield washer assembly out of an old car!"

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't think I'd consider using any kind of petrolium product for lubrication on my bandsaw. I have tried the PAM method, but even then I'd prefer not to get anything on the wood.

Ron Blaise
03-21-2007, 1:22 PM
If I use anything it's bee's wax. I keep a chunk of it for cutting plaskit or alumyum

Mike Cutler
03-21-2007, 1:28 PM
Ya' know, It wasn't so much the effects on the wood I was wondering about. It was the effect on the bandsaw tires I was interested in.
We use a vegetable based lubricant/cutting fluid on the big Marvels at work for steel. I've cut 12"x12" oak on them, but I wasn't interested in finishing the oak. Just cutting it for rigging dunnage.

Bill Jepson
03-21-2007, 1:45 PM
A product that works GREAT on saw blades ins BOELUBE. It is a specially formulated lube from Boeing Aircraft, now being sold to the public. There are two types; liquid, which I wouldn't recomend for wood work. There is a stick form a wax like product. This works super and hasn't left a residue on the red oak I've been sawing. (I took a chance there) This stuff holds up much better than beeswax. FWIW
Bill
P.S. Aircraft spruce sells it on the net.

rodney mitchell
03-21-2007, 5:44 PM
Yep, looks like T-wolves literature.

Has anybody ever done this, and what were the results?

Quote from text.

"For proper lubrication mix HIGH ADHESION CHAIN SAW BAR OIL, with 50% kerosene or diesel fuel. Apply the solution with a spray bottle to BOTH sides of the band saw blade about once every four minutes, while the machine is running. When this lubrication is applied, the sound of cutting decreases over 50%. DO NOT APPLY AGAIN until the sound of cutting starts increasing. I guarantee you will be amazed! Longer life; No pitch buildup; No rusted or pitted band saw blades! A great delivery system is the 12 volt windshield washer assembly out of an old car!"

FYI, these instructions are for a band saw MILL, not a woodworker's bandsaw.

Rodney

Mike Cutler
03-21-2007, 7:14 PM
FYI, these instructions are for a band saw MILL, not a woodworker's bandsaw.

Rodney

Ahhhhh.......... Thanks for clarifying that Rodney.:cool: