PDA

View Full Version : magazine subscriptions

Jerry Evans
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
being new to woodworking besides your forum I would like to subscribe to some woodworking magazines....could you point me in the right direction on the titles of a few good ones and where I can subscribe to them at a good price...TIA

Gary Keedwell
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Fine Woodworking....WOOD Magazine...Popular wood mag...Woodworking Journal...Woodsmith....

Really..if your new, I would go to newsstand and thumb through and find ones that have articles you might be interested in.
Good Luck,
Gary K.

Mike Heidrick
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I belong to Shopnotes and FWW. I love to read them both.

Al Killian
03-21-2007, 1:19 AM
For starting out I would say Wood magazine and Shonotes. Wood is amied more towards beginners and has projects with simpler joints and Shopnotes will help get your shop up and running.

Gary Breckenridge
03-21-2007, 2:09 AM
I read and use Wood.:)
I read and enjoy Wooden Boat.;)
I read and use Popular Mechanics.:D
I used to read Fine Woodworking but it just wasn't my style.:(

Keith Outten
03-21-2007, 6:46 AM
Shameless Plug

Don't forget about The Creek guys. We are Member Supported and our suggested annual donation of 6 bucks is the best deal going, less than the cost of one magazine.

Become a Contributor and help us keep The Creek advertising free.

Glen Blanchard
03-21-2007, 9:02 AM
I read and use Wood.:)

Meaning you read the grain direction or your wood has printing on it? :rolleyes: OHHHH - you mean "Wood Magazine"!!

Never Mind. :p

Nancy Laird
03-21-2007, 9:18 AM
Woodsmith for projects and detailed instructions.

Shop Notes for jigs, fixtures, and shop "helpers."

Wood for some projects, product review, and general information.

Fine Woodworking for more advanced projects, product review, and to see what others are doing.

These are the four "regulars" that grace our shop. All are very much worth the money.

Nancy

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 9:20 AM
WOOD Magazine is a good publication for the beginner through intermediate woodworker. ShopNotes is a very nice project-oriented choice, too.

And yes...the 'Creek is a most excellent "publication" to read every day!

Nancy Laird
03-21-2007, 9:21 AM
And you can check out this thread for other recommendations and opinions:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50737&highlight=magazines

Nancy

Steve Roxberg
03-21-2007, 9:50 AM
For starting out I would say Wood magazine and Shonotes. Wood is amied more towards beginners and has projects with simpler joints and Shopnotes will help get your shop up and running.

I agree with the above statement.

Shop Notes is great because you get projects and jigs for the shop. I learned a lot by making things for the shop. Mistakes that don't show in the living room.

Wood has good projects at lots of levels.

Kevin Smith
03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Jerry,

Most of the better magazines have already been listed. However, don't forget about your local library. They may have a number of magazines and/or books to help you get started.

John Piwaron
03-21-2007, 1:31 PM
Fine Woodworking and Woodwork. Highend and higher end!

Doug Hoffman
03-21-2007, 1:49 PM
I read most of the ones mentioned here,also American Woodworker.

Jerry Evans
03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
thank you all for your replies....this helps alot ....and yes I was and am going to also help the forum.....thanks again

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2007, 1:54 PM
As most have said FWW is a great magazine that seems to cater to all skill levels. I also like to work on the house, so I would reccomment Fine Homebuilding as well.

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 2:18 PM
Woodsmith - excellent plans as far as detail and instruction.
Shop Notes - great for shop organization and set up, techniques, jigs, etc.
Wood - goes hot and cold, I've dropped the subscription and switched to picking up the good ones off the news stand.
FWW - pretty well written, hot and cold, fairly advanced projects, decent plans. Would consider subscribing to the online service.
Workbench - has become more of a homeowners DIY kinda mag, dropped it.

I occaisionally pick up American WW or Pop WW but do not subscribe.

Jesse Thornton
03-22-2007, 8:03 PM
ShopNotes, FWW, FHB, Popular Woodworking are the four I get the most out of. Woodsmith ain't bad either. I liked Wood magazine when I was just starting out, but outgrew it pretty quickly.
Woodwork is an interesting read once in a while, but it's generally focused on really advanced techniques, usually a good distance over my head.
Before I had any favorites, I would just peruse the magazine racks each months and look for specific articles that I could learn something from or projects that intrigued me.
Nothing has taught me faster than my mistakes though, so just try to make as many of those as possible!

Don Bullock
03-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Since I'm just getting back to woodworking I'll chime in here. So far I've been inspired by what I see and read in Fine Woodworking. Popular Woodworking has also been a magazine that I have enjoyed because it seems to be a little more practicle than Fine Woodworking. I have also subscribed to several others and plan to drop those I don't like after my first year. I know going to the news stand might be cheaper, but I don't have one handy to me nor do I have enough time to check through all the magazines every month. Many of them are advertised online, so Goodle their websites and check them out. In the end, only you can tell which magazines meet your needs.

Bruce Wrenn
03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
On any of the Magazines, except Woodsmith/ Shop Notes, check at magazinepricesearch.com before ordering. Wood Workers Journel can almost always be had for about $13 a year direct from the publisher.