PDA

View Full Version : Power Planing

Tyler Howell
12-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Question for the experts, even a rookie could answer this one.

Bought a new toy :D …tool a couple of weeks ago, DW 735 13” planer. Works like a charm. Loud and messy (DC hose slipped off on its’ maiden voyage)
:confused: Am I correct in assuming only raw lumber goes through a planer???
No glue-ups no finished material??? Will a well scraped glue-up be OK or is that just the advice from the guy that wants to sell me more planer knives??
I figured the part out about no nails or fasteners years ago on a friend’s jointer. He still speaks to me :eek: .
I do a lot of work with recycled stock but I’m much more protective as the price of tools goes up.
Thanks in advance.

TJH

Dennis McDonaugh
12-19-2003, 1:09 PM
Tyler, I run glued panels through my planer all the time. I can't believe the lines glue could dull the knives faster than Jabota, Oak or Maple. A man-made product like MDF or particle board will dull the knives really fast, but there's a lot more glue in that material.

Tom Scott
12-19-2003, 1:10 PM
I don't know if you're supposed to or not, but I have the same planer and do it all the time without any adverse affects. Just make sure you take off any dried globs before you send it through.

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2003, 1:24 PM
My rule is: If it is wood and contains no metal AND it will fit in my planer........it goes through it....

Chris Padilla
12-19-2003, 1:53 PM
My rule is: If it is wood and contains no metal AND it will fit in my planer........it goes through it....

I'm with Dennis but I'll take it a step further: I have two sets of knives...one for planing nothing but raw/nice wood...the other set for "crap" like plywood, mdf, painted panels or stuff I don't want to touch with my nice blades.

This is why "ease of knife change" is high on my list when buying a planer. I have the Delta 22-580.

However, I am now having noticeable snipe (on the back end) whereas I had none before. I need to take a look at it and see what's up.

Chris

Tyler Howell
12-19-2003, 3:04 PM
Gentlemen,
Thanks thanks one and all.

Dennis and Chris great suggestions.

TJH