PDA

View Full Version : As a turner....do you ever quit learning something

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
new or experiencing something new?

Tonight I roughed out and DNAd my first "traditional" bowl. Dennis....this is shaped very close to the one you sent me. Anyway, I thought I'd turned green wood......WRONG!.........This is a piece of green maple burl my pusher slabbed out the day he took the tree of burl out of his Dad's front yard. It was amazing! I thought you folks were shucking me about slinging snot.......I roughed outside at 600 rpm and was getting wet curlies. Then I switched to shaping the outside and ran the speed up to 1200 rpm. Wow....it was a bath and on that wet wood I practiced some of the cuts Bill Grumbine demonstrates in his video "Turned Bowls Made Easy". So far my success rate with DNA has been "0". Of course everything I've DNAd so far has been fruit wood and I've been told the Law of Nature says you can't dry fruitwood without at least one crack that rivals the Grand Canyon in either length or width....:confused: We'll see how this maple burl comes out.

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey Ken,

That's why I use part of an old tent rain cover for a turning smock. It's waterproof!!! :D

Congrats bud....turning green wood is fun...at least it is to me. ;)

Curt Fuller
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
[quote=Ken Fitzgerald]As a turner do you ever stop learning something new or experiencing something new?

quote]

I hope not!

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
"He not busy being born, is busy dying" - Bob Dylan

George Tokarev
03-21-2007, 6:15 AM
Centrifugal force new? One of the reasons for keeping the speed down, the other being your safety. I have to put up deflectors or covers on wet wood, but keeping the speed low keeps the stuff from making distance and spread!

Consider all that water you just threw, and the fact that you're now soaking it in something. Almost doesn't make sense, does it? As to "fruitwood," unless you're talking a man-made tree with lots of induced stress, shouldn't be much of a problem. Mind the rules for wood, shape your bowl accordingly, then keep some kind of control over the dry rate. As the veteran of hundreds of cherry bowls, I can say that they behave just like the folks at Madison say they do.

Chris Barton
03-21-2007, 7:16 AM
Ken,

I my case the reverse of your title is true... I manage to make the same mistakes over and over.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2007, 8:20 AM
Hey Ken are we having fun yet???:D ;) :rolleyes: I don't think you'll have any trouble with the maple cracking. I soak all bowls for at least a minimum of 48 hrs. No pun intended but haven't lost one yet, "knock on wood." Had a couple of apple ones crack but not to where they were a total loss since my start of use DNA. Hope it works for ya Ken.

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
No...never...round or flat or both...there is always more to learn. Further, once you learn enough to teach, you learn even more from teaching...it's a never ending cycle.

Mark Pruitt
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Ken, I wet-turned a HF out of some spalted maple last weekend and DNA'd it. It developed three cracks that look like they may prove fatal, but I saved the shavings and sifted them into fine dust which I'll use with some thick CA to fill the cracks when I finish-turn it. That is, if I can keep the thing in one piece! If not, who cares it was free and I learned something. Like you implied, you really never do quit learning.:)

William Bachtel
03-21-2007, 8:07 PM
We are all students in life, we keep learning until the day we die. There is not a human alive who knows it all, some think so, but they are wrong.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-21-2007, 8:13 PM
Ken, don't cover up with raincoats and the like. What you experienced is called: Baptism by Spinning!:eek: it is the next best thing to immersion.:D :) After all we are a pretty religious group here.:p

Leo Pashea
03-21-2007, 9:06 PM
Learning is living............living is learning. If you're not learning, you're not breathing...........whether you realize it or not! :)

Jonathon Spafford
03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
We may all still be learning, but some of us just seem closer to perfection. *looks at Travis S.* ;)

Chip Sutherland
03-21-2007, 11:24 PM
God has a sense of humor and he expresses it in every piece of wood. I learn new forms of humility with every piece I turn.