PDA

View Full Version : Veneer pump/Suggestions

richard poitras
03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I was just wondering were the best place to buy a pump only for veneering, I am probably going to get the kit from Joe Wood Worker, but was looking to see if there is a cheaper or more reasonable place to just buy the pump and incorporate it in with Joe’s kit, not sure what brand? I here that Gast makes a good pump, also what kind diaphragm, piston, or rotary any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Also am planning on getting a system that turns on and off, as air is need Veneer pump/Suggestions
ed …. Thanks

Steve Roxberg
03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I have the Gast Vacuum pump that is available from Surplus Center.

It is a new pump but was surplus, the specs are listed below. The most important spec is that this pump runs on 220 only. Not a problem in my shop but to some it is. The price is right, it's continous duty so you don't need any other stuff from Joe as long as you are willing to have the pump running and allow a small amount of air to leak into the lines to suppy the pump with something to do.

1/4 HP Rotary Compressor Vacuum Pump
New GAST 0523. Direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pump. Motor is thermally protected and will restart automatically after the coils cool. My first unit quit working within days, their service was so good that I called them on the phone, they looked up the invoice information for me, shipped a new one that day, with a return postage paid tag. I was out nothing and had a new pump. The second pump has been running for years. The price $89 bucks?

If you want to use Joe's system he references this pump. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007032021485985&item=4-1540&catname=

SPECIFICATIONS

HP 1/4

Voltage 220 AC, 50/60 Hz, 1 ph.

Amps 1.5

RPM 1725

4.5 CFM at 0 PSI

3.6 CFM at 10 PSI cont.

PSI 15 int.

0.5 CFM at 26" Hg max.

Ports 1/4" NPT

Duty continuous

Thermal protection on motor

Size 5 5/8" x 13 1/4" x 6"

Shpg. 31 lbs.

Jim Becker
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
The vacuum pump I use for vacuum chucking on my lathe and that I will eventually use for veneer work is a Gast that I also bought surplus. (It was actually brand new, but not used by a major medical manufacturer in some assembly and sold off by them to the surplus outfit)

Greg Funk
03-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I bought mine off of ebay. Do a search on ebay for "gast pump" and you should get lots of hits. Item #250095435641 would be a nice pump - it includes a large accumulator tank so would be ideal for a veneering setup.

Greg

Mitchell Andrus
03-21-2007, 8:08 AM
I dumpster dove a Gast pump/motor 20 years ago and finally hooked up a Joe Woodworker setup last year. This pump has got to be 40+ years old and runs great.

Be sure to get a bag large enough, plus. At $100.00 or so, you don't want to buy a small, then a large.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42474

Steve Roxberg
03-21-2007, 8:13 AM
I have a question about the Joe Woodworker system.

He states you have to use Schedule 40 pipe, but also solid core. The local HD has some schedule 40 pre-cut to two foot lengths which is nice, it says schedule 40 on it, but I didn't see any reference to solid core.

How would I know it's solid core?

Mitchell Andrus
03-21-2007, 8:32 AM
Not a concern. The pumps we'll get our hands on can't possibly pull enough to rupture schedule 40.

I think there is a pvc variant that includes passages built into the walls for product cooling. You'll not find this at HD.