PDA

View Full Version : Simple Questions about HVLP/LVLP

Caleb Dietrich
03-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I have a few questions about hvlp/lvlp guns. I searched the archives a bit, but the questions remain.

1) Anyone have a good link for info?

I work in a 2 person cabinet shop (Kitchen, Bath, Library entertainment center...), where I do a lot of the finishing-spraying M.L. Campbell conversion varnish. We have a number of guns that I maintain meticulously. But I don't know much about them aside from I like the way one sprays stain, and another clear, and another primer, and paint, and so I've dedicated them accordingly. My guess is that my preferences have to do with tip/needle size. They are all inexpensive.

2)I'm looking to set up my personal shop up to spray furniture finishes. Is it worth paying $200+? I get good results with the huskys and IR at work, but that's conversion varnish.

I don't know the lingo, but I prefer the cup on top. The QS-600WB looks nice at Homesteadfinishing.

3)Do you use the same gun for shelac, waterbased finish, lacquer, ect..? With different tips?

Again thanks for the help. Promise I'll start giving back soon.:cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Caleb,

I've been through a few guns. What you are talking about is Gravity Fed HVLP Conversion guns. Those work well for what you need. Just need the various air cap and needle sizes to spray the various finishes.

Since my last conversion gun gave up...I bit the bullet and called Jeff Jewitt and bought an Accuspray HVLP/Turbine setup. Wow!!!! What a difference that has made in my ability to get a nice finish off the gun.

My advice is to buy the best gun you can for the money, even if it means saving a little longer to get a much better quality gun. In the long run, you will not regret getting the better quality guns.

Phil Phelps
03-21-2007, 9:37 AM
Caleb,

I've been through a few guns. What you are talking about is Gravity Fed HVLP Conversion guns. Those work well for what you need. Just need the various air cap and needle sizes to spray the various finishes.

Since my last conversion gun gave up...I bit the bullet and called Jeff Jewitt and bought an Accuspray HVLP/Turbine setup. Wow!!!! What a difference that has made in my ability to get a nice finish off the gun.

My advice is to buy the best gun you can for the money, even if it means saving a little longer to get a much better quality gun. In the long run, you will not regret getting the better quality guns.

Howdy Dennis. What you're saying is, "you get what you pay for"? You made a good investment in the Accuspray. You going to make the Dallas Guitar Show next month?
Phil