PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit in Arkansas

Ron Brese
03-20-2007, 9:29 PM
The Brese's and the Rowe's in Russellville

Julie and I were visiting Russellville Arkansas this past weekend. Our trip had three objectives. The first was to deliver an 18" Woodmaster Planer that I had sold to a gentleman from Eastern Oklahoma. Russellville was decided as the meeting place for this transfer of machinery because of the second objective which was a visit with Julie's Uncle Fred and his wife Shirley. The third objective and the one that this thread is about was a Creeker Visit with Steve and Donna Rowe.

After making the machinery exchange on Saturday, we headed over to the shop and home of Steve and Donna Rowe. I had picked up on a thread reply from Steve that mentioned a Felder combination machine with sliding table in his shop. This attracted my interest because I had never had the opportunity to look at one of these machines in a home shop and ask questions of a person that was a machine user and not a salesman.

We were welcomed by Steve and Donna so warmly that I believe a bystander would have thought we were old friends. I'm proud to say that they are now "new friends that seem like old friends."

When people meet and they have the common ground of woodworking there is always a lot to talk about, what we found was that we had a lot more in common than woodworking.

To say that Steve's shop houses an impressive array of machinery and hand tools would be a gross understatement. This was the most impressive home shop I've ever seen. Not only does he have a complete shop, he has industrial quality tools of the type that are usually only seen in professional shops. In addition Steve's shop is well orgainzed and has room for "work in process" as well as space for tools.

It's seems that the Felder combination machine is the heart of his shop and he answered all my questions about this machine with the expertise only an experienced user could possess.

My contribution to the visit was to allow Steve to test drive my recently completed infill planes. I think these planes work quite well, but I need the feedback of other woodworkers in order to make final changes prior to putting these planes into production. One of the planes I brought was the small smoother that I had posted progress pics of recently. This plane is in the late stages of development and is ready for production. The other plane that I brought was an early stage prototype of a full size smoother.

We put these planes thru their paces on a piece of walnut with all the typically hard to plane charateristics. It has a sizable knot in one side that creates switch back grain on the other side of the board and caused the grain to change direction when it comes thru the edge of the board also.

You will notice in the picture that does not contain any people that we even planed the area around the knot smooth.

As we tired of ruining a pefectly good piece of walnut by turning it into sub one thousanth ribbons of wood, we started into conversation about things other than woodworking. Children (all grown on both sides), other hobbies, jobs, among many things.

Before we knew it the afternoon had escaped us. We saw an impressive shop and in their home some impressive furniture pieces made by Steve, and some beautiful quilts made by Donna Rowe. We've made plans for a future meeting in Georgia, Julie and I are already looking forward to it.

Hope you enjoy the pics,

Ron Brese

Picture legend: Steve is in the lighter colored shirt, I'm the other guy.

Steve Rowe
03-21-2007, 8:21 PM
Thanks Ron, we had a great visit and after a few minutes, it felt as if we had known Ron and Julie for years. This was my first Creeker Visit. I must admit however, that the description of "organized" is greatly exaggerated (at least IMHO).

Ron's planes are not only a work of beauty but perform most excellently and this is not an exaggeration. He is clearly not only an accomplished woodworker but a metalworker as well. Both planes went through wild grain and around the knots with no tearout. The shavings were among the thinnest I have ever seen. The mass and balance were very good. I was so impressed with the quality and performance, a deposit on serial number 001 (smaller plane) was made.

Thanks again Ron.

Steve

John Renzetti
03-21-2007, 9:20 PM
Hi Ron, Thanks for the info on the visit with Steve and also for posting the pictures. I get into Little Rock a couple of times per month but I never have enough time to get up to Russellville to meet Steve in person. One of these days we'll get there early and get a good RON and I'll have the time to drive up to Steve's place.
take care,
John

Steve Rowe
03-22-2007, 8:24 PM
Hi Ron, Thanks for the info on the visit with Steve and also for posting the pictures. I get into Little Rock a couple of times per month but I never have enough time to get up to Russellville to meet Steve in person. One of these days we'll get there early and get a good RON and I'll have the time to drive up to Steve's place.
take care,
John

John - I look forward to your visit. Don't you have one of those afterburner things to use that would get you here earlier?:D It is about an hour and 20 minutes from the airport to my house assuming good traffic. If I still lived in Collegeville, PA we would probably already have visited.
Steve

Ron Brese
03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
John,

If you've not been to Russellville it is one beautiful place. The lake and surrounding area are quite a treat to the eye. I can't imagine what it must be like in the fall when the leaves are in full color. It's enough to make a guy buy a boat.

Ron