PDA

View Full Version : Best plywood for choice bookcase?

Al Killian
03-20-2007, 8:35 PM
I am in need of building a display case for my dad it will most likely get painted. So, what would be the best type of plywood to make the carcass out of? Would Baltic Birch be the best choice or is there something better? It not going to be fancy, just a plain rectangle case with adjustable shelfs.
Al

glenn bradley
03-20-2007, 8:42 PM
If its to be painted, I like BB ply due to the strength and lack of voids. It's not that much more than the bad stuff. Check out some of Jeff Jewitt or other's techniques for painting wood. A few extra steps really make a difference.

Peter Pedisich
03-20-2007, 8:45 PM
Al,

Baltic Birch can have a slightly rougher surface than shop birch ply, so if painting I prefer regular birch plywood or MDF. If you want the screw holding of ply with the smooth surface of MDF you can use MDO which is what signmakers use - just be prepared for sticker shock! the MDO is $$$$!

Good Luck,

Pete

Al Killian
03-21-2007, 1:02 AM
Thanks guys, I will call my supplier in the moring and see what he has. I know that I can get BB for about $55 a sheet, which isnt bad come paired to the cheap stuff. I am not sure what shop birch will fecthbut, I will find out in a few more hours. Its nice not sleeping much.:)

Grant Wilkinson
03-21-2007, 9:04 AM
In my neck of the woods, it's almost impossible to find any plywood that is flat across the whole surface. Also the outer veneer is very thin. The cabinet makers here, if you are not going solid wood, all recommend veneered particle board or veneered MDF. It's perfectly flat and if you use glue and the correct fasteners, can be made up just fine.

Grant
Ottawa ON

Ted Miller
03-21-2007, 9:36 AM
Grant, I guess I am lucky with sheet stock here but I like as Peter mentioned Birch ply or of course double sidded melamine with banding. Also made a few from 3/4" AC ply sanded both sides looks great painted adding some fluted frames for strength...

Grant Wilkinson
03-21-2007, 2:54 PM
Ted

Like you, I would prefer to use birch ply. For small stuff, I do. But, for larger cases, it's damn near impossible,since finding a flat piece is like finding a needle in a haystack. Count yourself lucky.

Grant
Ottawa ON

Von Bickley
03-21-2007, 3:37 PM
For a painted cabinet, I would use standard Birch Plywood and a Poplar face frame.:) :) :)

Al Killian
03-22-2007, 2:27 AM
Ok, I called my plywood suppleir and he has birch plywood. The BB that I have bought in the past has been very flat. Maybe it is the way it is stored. As far as MDF, I do not like working with it. It is just one of those things that I have had bad luck makeing anything out of it, so now to reduce stress I stick with plywood.;) My lumber gut has strips of poplar that he is giving me. Etheir I take them or they end up in his stove.

Randy Acton
03-22-2007, 5:23 AM
What is the size of the case and what thickness do you want the material? Can't answer many more questions until that is determined.