PDA

View Full Version : LN Question

Tim Nylander
03-20-2007, 7:41 PM
For you guys who have both the Rabbet block plane and the 140
Which do you like better and find to be a little more versatile?
I have a stanley 140 but this would be for bringing out on jobsites(great grandads will not be lifted by an electrician!).
ANy insight would be apppreciated
Thanks
Tim

Hank Knight
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Tim,

I don't own a rabbit block plane, but I have a pair of LN 140s. They are wonderful planes for rabbits - especially across the grain - and the skew blade comes in handy on other occasions. For example, I find them very good for shooting small stuff on a shooting board. But they are lousy block planes. They are big and heavy and pretty awkward for service as a regualr block plane. If you're looking for a plane that will serve for a universal block plane as well as a special purpose rabbit plane, I don't think you want a 140. Maybe the rabbit block plane comes closer to the mark. If you're looking for a special purpose cross grain rabbit plane, the 140 is the ticket.

My $.02.

Hank

Tony Zaffuto
03-21-2007, 3:24 PM
I have both but what is it you want to do at the job site with these styles of block planes? So much depends upon the work you want to accomplish.

My preference between the two planes leans towards the 140 with the rabbet getting much less use. For a general purpose block, try the LN 60-1/2 or their verssion of the 102. Regardless, match your plane purchase to the majority of work you want to do.

Tim Nylander
03-22-2007, 6:25 AM
I use a 65 every day so a bigger plane isn't a problem. I would mostly be using it to clean up machine work in a lot of sitituations. But often I wish I had something that could get in an flatten out a bowed door stop, clean up sloppy casing details and generally even up things that are already installed that the painters won't fix with sandpaper.
And one that can get beat on a little and take it.
Thanks for the input