PDA

View Full Version : gouge sizes: who measures by flute vs. shaft diameter

Mark Pruitt
03-20-2007, 7:33 PM
I'm trying to find information on how various manufacturers size their gouges. For example I know that Sorby gouges are sized by the width of the flute itself, and P&N gouges are sized by outside diameter of the shaft. So, a 1/2" Sorby and a 5/8" P&N would be about the same actual size.

It would be neat if we could compile information on respective gouge sizes in one place for reference.

Are Crown gouges sized by flute width or shaft diameter?
What about Pinnacle?
Benjamin's Best?
Others?

George Tokarev
03-21-2007, 6:06 AM
Note that even that outside isn't a really good point to reference. Do you really think the BB gouge is 1/16" thick either side of the flute? Doubt that it would be of much use if it were.

The only constant point is the width of the flute, but even there the conformation of the grind is going to limit you a bit as to how you use it.

Ralph Lindberg
03-21-2007, 9:45 AM
There is a tendacny for English made/branded tools to be measure by the flute and US/Canadian made/branded to be measure by the shaft. But I'm certain there are exceptions.

Many of the better catalogs note this difference in their tool writeups, like the new Packard catalog in their writeup on Glaser

Dario Octaviano
03-21-2007, 9:54 AM
Some vendors also convert the flute size (of British gouges) to shaft size. Their contention is for "uniformity" :rolleyes: .

Best bet is to ask before buying (especially online).

Mark Pruitt
03-21-2007, 10:01 AM
There is a tendacny for English made/branded tools to be measure by the flute and US/Canadian made/branded to be measure by the shaft.
Ralph, I thought so too, until someone told me that Crown (in England) measures by the shaft. I was trying to order a detail gouge and was unclear as to which one was actually the one I wanted.

While I was needing the information for that order, I was also thinking that others are going to encounter the same question and it would be nice if they had a single source for the info they need.