PDA

View Full Version : Tacky pen question

Dave Dionne
12-19-2003, 11:16 AM
I know from reading the posts here and from viewing other peoples work that a bunch of folks here make pens either directly for sale at craft fairs or thier own store fronts or to friends by word of mouth.
What is the average selling price for a pen? My wife wants to start turning pens and such and selling them. I know that there are a lot of variables, Wood used, type of pen kits and such but just wondering where to start.

Thanks for your help

Dave Dionne

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Dave, I have been turning Pens for a short while now, and have been fortunate to find a few places that are having decent success selling my Pens. I think a fair price for a Slimline Type Pen would be $16 - $20. For the Flat Top American Style Pen, I feel that $18 - $24 is a good price for them. Just my 2 cents worth though, generally you can get whatever the "traffic" allows. By the way, Ken was kind enough to help me out with pricing guidelines when I started turning pens..........and Ken has sold MANY more pens than I ever will, so I trust his judgement 100%. The "Rebel" has never steered me wrong yet!

Dave Dionne
12-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks Kevin,
Just got the lathe I am excited that my wife wants to learn, (maybe soon she will see why I say I need a dust collection unit). She is really the gifted one in the family when it comes to artsy/crafty stuff.

Rod Torgeson
12-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Dave ...I make the slimline pen and pencil set, the classic parker style, the mont blanc(designer pen) and the cigar pen out of about 60 to 70 different woods and sell them for $25. I used to sell them to 3 jewelry stores in the area where I used to live (Marysville, WA) and they in turn sold them for $50. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

Rick Prevett
12-22-2003, 3:13 PM
Dave you list one set (slimline), and three pens. Did I read you correctly that you sell the slimline set for the same $25 as you do the single (but better) pens? Just curious.

thanks,

rick

Dave ...I make the slimline pen and pencil set, the classic parker style, the mont blanc(designer pen) and the cigar pen out of about 60 to 70 different woods and sell them for $25. I used to sell them to 3 jewelry stores in the area where I used to live (Marysville, WA) and they in turn sold them for $50. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

Rod Torgeson
12-22-2003, 3:46 PM
Rick...If you are asking me that question, the answer is yes. I sell the slimline set(pen and pencil) for $25 and then the others are individual pens for $25. Rod in Appleton, WA

Rick Prevett
12-22-2003, 5:39 PM
Yes, that question was directed to Rod, and Rod, thanks for the answer!

rick

Tom Hintz
12-22-2003, 7:05 PM
We are going to add pens, pencils and sets to my commercial site soon because I have been asked for them quite a bit over the last few months.
It seems that $25 for a wide range of pens is a very common price, and one that seems fair if you consider the hardware and labor.
I am doing searches and seeing what others are getting and will price ours in that area also.