PDA

View Full Version : I need a router, please help

Bill Eshelman
03-20-2007, 3:01 PM
Hi all,

I have been getting by with a 3/4 hp router that I got for my 10th birthday 25 years ago. Having just bought a kreg jig to make some cabinets, I think it is time to get a new router. I want to do raised panel stile/rail doors so I know I need some good hp, so my question is this.
Can I get by using a 2 1/4 hp router to do raised panel or do I have to go for a 3 hp+ router. I would like to go with a 2 1/4 horse because they have them nifty kits where you get two bases. That way I can mount one on my table and use the plunge base as needed.

Thanks.
Bill E

Bill White
03-20-2007, 3:08 PM
Go ahead and get a big one w/variable speed. You'll need the HP and the VS for the big panel bits. Porter Cable seems to be the top dog in the 3+ hp class.
Bill

glenn bradley
03-20-2007, 3:18 PM
For folks wanting to go 'in between' the Triton 2 1/4 has been sweeping the tests. The downside is it is a plunge only. The upside is it requires no lift for the table. A reviewer who had used it for 6 month stated that it was "OK" for raised panel bits but if he were doing production work it would need more power. For doing a kitchen or now and then work it was fine.

For a dual base there are a lot of DeWalt fans here at the creek. I went with Milwaukees 3.5HP 6525 for the table and their 5615 for hand held but this gives me no plunge so the Triton may be in my future. It depends on your method of work. For some folks, routers are like clamps; they got a bunch of 'em.

Peter Kuhlman
03-20-2007, 3:56 PM
"For some folks, routers are like clamps; they got a bunch of 'em."

Oh - that is me :) . Routers are like cockroaches - multiply like crazy. Eventually you find you want to start having a specific router dedicated to a task so you don't have to spend time on setups. My wife can't believe how many I have - have to hide them!!! I need treatment.

As to your question, there are a lot of great routers available. To be able to spin a large horizontal raised panel bit, you really need a 3+ hp router if you will be doing this very much. I use a PC 7518 in a table for this. A quality 2+ hp router will do it and you can reduce the load on the router if you use the router table fence to make the cuts in stages - not full depth first cut. Depending on your budget-- the Dewalt 621 or PC 7529 (been replaced with newer model) plungers are really nice. For more money, I really love my Festool 1400 but it is pricey. The multi base kits are good and I have the Dewalt 618 triple base kit - no real issues with it but a dedicated plunger does work smoother than the kits, not quite as top heavy - more stable. Milwaukee makes great stuff and like Glen says, the Tritons get great reviews although I have not used one.
Pete

Bill Eshelman
03-20-2007, 4:22 PM
Wow, quick replies.
I guess to be more specific, I am asking whether I can use a 2 1/4 hp to do raised panels if I do them in a few passes. I think that is what Peter is saying, but I just want to be sure. I am trying to do this for under $200 if possible.

Thanks again
Bill E

Barry Anderson
03-20-2007, 4:35 PM
Triton also makes a 3.5 HP router. It is on sale @ sommerfeldtools.com for $199.99. Pretty good price for a 3.5

Barry in WV

Bob Noles
03-20-2007, 5:11 PM
Bill,

I would have to give this one serious consideration for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12V2-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B000GKC28W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-4425503-0569669?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174424879&sr=1-2

I have the previous model and love it. With raised panels, you are going to be swinging some large bits and I would go for all the HP I could get for the money.

Anthony Anderson
03-20-2007, 5:23 PM
Bill, you can use the 2 1/4 hp routers to raise panels, as long as it is not everyday, and it doesn't sound like that is the case. I have two of the DeWalt 2 1/4 hp kits and they are great tools. The key is to use good bits. I use CMT and Freud raised panel bits, although I use a 3.5 hp router with those bits, I would feel comfortable using those bits in my DeWalt routers if they were mounted in a table, power would not be a concern, just dial in the variable speed to the bit being used. With all that said, the Hitachi that was linked to, at Amazon, has received very good reviews, especially for the money. Say you spend $225 for a DeWalt kit. Instead buy the Hitachi, and a reconditioned DeWalt DW218 Plunge router, or fixed base if you prefer. Just about the same money. Hope this helps, Bill

Jim Becker
03-20-2007, 5:25 PM
For strictly table only use, go with the 15 amp router. For an "only" router situation for both hand-held and table use, one of the 12-13 amp kits is the best value, IMHO. The heavier machine is certainly better for swinging large panel cutters, but the 12-13 amp machine will do the job if you cut in multiple steps and don't feed too quickly. (You should do it that way even with the bigger machine for best quality...)

David Gunn
03-20-2007, 5:32 PM
You can use a 2-1/4 hp router to do raised panels. It will just take longer as it will take more passes than it would with a 3-1/2hp router. I have a Frued FT1700. Only down side is it does not come with a plunge base. It does have above the table height adjustment and above table bit change capabilties.

Anthony Anderson
03-20-2007, 5:43 PM
You can use a 2-1/4 hp router to do raised panels. It will just take longer as it will take more passes than it would with a 3-1/2hp router.

I feel that you could still do the raised panels in 3 passes, the norm that should be taken with a 3.5 hp router. And you definately will not need to take 5-6 passes, even with a 2 1/4 hp router, as long as it is a good one. I have raised panels in two passes before, with sharp bits, and a 3.5 hp router. Good Luck, Bill

Pete Brown
03-20-2007, 6:23 PM
You can, but since you already have a low-power router and are targeting panel-raising bits, buy as much power as you can afford.

Also, make sure that the opening in the base will clear the large bit. Some of the lower power routers don't have the size opening you may need (should be easy to find out online)

I use two Milwaukee router motors for my router tables. They are variable speed (a must with the large bits), have a soft start (another must, IMHO) and plenty of power (yes, another must <g>). I wouldn't both with them hand-held, though, too heavy. I have a couple other routers for that.

Pete

Scot Ferraro
03-20-2007, 8:02 PM
I love my Milwaukee 5625 (15 amp motor). One thing you might think about is the largest diameter bit you plan on using. Not only does the router need enough moxie to swing the larger bits, it also needs an opening that is large enough to accomodate the larger panel raising bits (some of these are 3 inches). My preference is a nice plunge router for hand work and a fixed based for table mounted use. The PC router works well too, but with the Milwaukee you do not need to spend money for a height adjustment since it is built in to the base.

Scot

pat warner
03-20-2007, 8:32 PM
Raised panel cutters are the thing, very popular.
For me, too big for any router, but done everyday with big & small routers. Expect some adversity (many passes = premature cutter wear, burning, vibration, a lot of noise) with the smaller routers.
Tips on selecting a router. (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)

scott spencer
03-21-2007, 8:39 AM
The simple answer to your question is "yes", a decent 13 amp router is capable of swinging 3" panel raisers. I've got a big MW5625 and a Freud FT1700 and have raised panels with both. The 5625 has an easier time of it, but I like the FT1700 so much that I usually just leave it in the table for occasional panels. You just have to take lighter passes, and isn't something that'd be good for that router to do frequently.

Matt Day
03-21-2007, 9:20 AM
I used my Hitachi M12V2 for the first time the other day and it works very well. I haven't tried taking a lot of material off with it yet, but it didn't flinch at all with what I was doing. I like the ergonomics, control layout, and it feels smaller than it is when using it handheld. I think it's hard to beat for $152 at amazon right now (I got mine for $160 a few months ago).

Bill Eshelman
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Sweet advice guys.
I've never done a raised panel, or used a big router.
Although the Milwaukee 5625 is looking like the winner, I think I am going to go with the Hitachi just due to the fact that I can then afford a raised panel bit set and it is a plunge. That way I can get the Milwaukee sometime in the future and use the Hitachi for plungery.

Again Thanks Creekers

Bill E