PDA

View Full Version : What glue to glue tenon back on?

Jason Hallowell
03-20-2007, 2:42 PM
I haven't had much time to turn recently, but had a few hours of spare time this morning, and decided to try my second hollow form. Everything was going along pretty good, and I was about 85% done hollowing when I got a nasty catch. The tenon broke off, and the sides of the opening are pretty dinged up, but I think it can be saved. I was thinking of glueing the tenon back on using either a poly glue, or an epoxy, but thought I would ask those who have done this before. What is the best glue to use for this, and are there any words of wisdom on how to best save this peice?

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2007, 2:59 PM
I'd say epoxy if for no other reason than you won't need as much clamping pressure, given that you're dealing with an odd-shaped and (probably) structually-compromised piece.

Jonathon Spafford
03-20-2007, 3:21 PM
Titebond works well too and you can just clamp it with the tailstock.

Paul Engle
03-20-2007, 4:13 PM
Sage advise, if you use the Titebond( 1st choice) be sure to let it sit the full 1.5 hrs before moving it.

Bill Wyko
03-20-2007, 5:06 PM
When ever I've done that I turned it flat and glued on a contrasting wood on to replace it. (I've done that to almost everything I've done:cool: )

Jim Becker
03-20-2007, 5:41 PM
Sage advise, if you use the Titebond( 1st choice) be sure to let it sit the full 1.5 hrs before moving it.

Titebond (or any other PVA glue) needs 24 hours to fully cure.