PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher Door Seal

Stan Thigpen
03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
I have just ordered a new door gasket/seal kit for my mother's Kenmore dishwasher, mod # 587.771304 Does anyone know the specific instructions for replacing the door seal? I have not yet removed the old one. Thanks

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I have a different one now but on an old Kenmore about 15 years ago the part came with adhesive, I had to scrape off the old one and glue it on. I used denatured aclohol to clean the old adhesive off. May be different now, though.

Al Willits
03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Model 587 would probably be a Frigidare unit, how old is it, maybe I have a manual here at work.

Al

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-21-2007, 7:28 PM
I used denatured aclohol to clean the old adhesive off.

Alcohol worked for that?? I'm surprised.

My go to solvent would have been laquer thinner or MEK.

I'm guessing Al, that once you stert removing the old molding the means to put the new one in will become obvious as it's either screws under a folded seal, glue, or a push in.

Lee DeRaud
03-21-2007, 7:36 PM
I admit a lot of things continue to surprise me, but I would really be surprised if the new seal doesn't come with installation instructions.

Al Willits
03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I think your right Cliff, many are installed with out glue and have clips, grooves and who knows what else to keep them in place.

You'd think so Lee, but not always.

Stan try this site
http://www3.sears.com/
Type your model in and take a look, glue isn't listed but the parts drawing is not real clear on mounting seal, if you buy the part from Sears ask them, once in a while they'll tell you.
Also be care as some can be installed backwards and will leak, not sure if this is one of them, dealing with Sears can be iffy.

Al

Chris Struttman
03-22-2007, 2:36 PM
I have found repairclinic.com to be a great source of parts and information. They have a "repair guru" that you can email with your questions too.