PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Or Purchase A Scroll Saw

Richard Hodge
03-20-2007, 9:40 AM
My wife is opening a daycare and wants to make a bunch of block such as stars and circles. She and our daughter plan to cut them out and have no experience. Which would be better for them........a bandsaw with 1/8" blade or a scroll saw? Already have the bandsaw but would need to purchase a scroll saw. If scroll saw...any recommendations?

Ted Miller
03-20-2007, 9:47 AM
Rich, You could go with a thin blade on your BS 1/4" 6tpi...

John Bailey
03-20-2007, 1:55 PM
The bandsaw will be more usefull for more projects. For what you describe, I think the bandsaw would be a good choice, and much cheaper since you already have it.

John

Paul Johnstone
03-20-2007, 2:07 PM
How old is your daughter? A scrollsaw is a lot safer than a bandsaw. I'd only let a very mature teen use a bandsaw.

A scrollsaw will cut slower and be limited in the thickness it can cut. However, a scroll saw can make tighter curves.. How elaborate are these blocks?
You can easily cut out "holes" in pieces with a scrollsaw (can't do that in a bandsaw without a blade welder). You can also make really cool wooden puzzles with a scroll saw. The kerf is thinner, so the pieces fit tight.

Also, budget is a consideration. You can get a decent used scrollsaw for less money than a decent used bandsaw (IMO, of course).

How thick are the blocks you need to cut? I forget the cutting capacity of my scroll saw.. but I think it's limited to 3/4 or 1 inch thickness.

Well, there's some things to think about..

Al Killian
03-20-2007, 3:23 PM
The scrollsaw will work, but it will take alot longer as the feed rate is slower. Mine will cut 2" lumber, but it takes forever. I would go with a 1/4" or 1/8" blade depending on the how tight of curves you will be cutting. Call http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/contact.asp they can help you pick the proper blade.

Tom Court
03-20-2007, 8:49 PM
Richard,

My wife is the scroll saw expert in our family so I asked her which she thinks is safer, the scroll saw or bandsaw. She said the scroll saw is 'way safer' then the bandsaw. She also pointed out that, for her, the bandsaw is a pain to get setup, blade tension, guides, etc..
We have two bandsaws, a 12" Jet and a 16" Mini-Max. She is not comfortable with either saw, but she will use the Jet if I get it set up for her, she has no interest in using the MM16, which is fine with me.
She uses a Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw, which has a limit of 2" thick wood.
I've heard her say it's a lot like using a sewing machine.

If I were the one cutting out the blocks I would definitely use a bandsaw, but it's not for everyone.

Tom.

Steve Campbell
03-20-2007, 9:12 PM
Richard,
I think a scroll saw is way safer and it will do a better job if she is not experienced with a band saw. I don't know what kind of band saw you have but I know with mine I would need to spend a lot of time sanding when I was done. With my scrollsaw I don't have to sand a thing. I think I could cut them quicker on the scrollsaw.

Steve

John Terefenko
03-20-2007, 9:56 PM
Rich

As everyone has mentioned it depends on the thickness of the material you are cutting. A few things come into play when making that decision and being I do not know what money you want to spend and not knowing the thickness of the material. Some people have mentioned 2" is the max on a scrollsaw well that is not the case with all saws. Some are 1-1/2" Now the problem with a scrollsaw and cutting that thick of wood you may get bowing and the sides of the piece will not be square. With a bandsaw you will not have that problem and thickness doesn't matter. But with a bandsaw you will not get a nice smooth edge as you will with a scroll saw. A bandsaw will cut much more aggressively and that is why it is a more dangerous tool to a scrollsaw. So you see you have good points and bad points in both.

You ask for a recomendation of saws. The low end saw highest rating saw is the Delta SS350 for about $250 and mid priced range saw with all the bells and whistles is the Dewalt 788 for about $450. Of course you can go to the high end and spend $1000 but not necessary. You give us an idea what you are cutting and I can recomend a blade or you can talk to Mike M at www.mikesworkshop.com (http://www.mikesworkshop.com) for Flying Dutchman blades. They will give you the best cut and the longest lasting blades. Many scroller use them.

Roger Barga
03-21-2007, 12:10 AM
My vote is for the scroll saw. Not only is it safer, but it's a pleasure to use - it's quiet, simple to adjust and change blades and perhaps a bit more versatile. And besides, you get a new tool for your shop ;-). I use mine to cut veneer (marquetry), drawer and cabinet handles, templates for routing and even copper sheets for light shades and what not.

roger

Al Killian
03-21-2007, 1:15 AM
If you do get the SS, you can get wider blades that will not bow while useing thicker stock. For SS blades go to mikesworkshop.com and Mike will be glad to set you up with the proper blades.
Al

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Consider what the other uses will be for the machine you purchase. The scroll saw isn't the best choice if you will be doing "thick" blocks (remember, they have to be above a certain size for safety), IMHO, but you might be able to get by with one, especially if you do something creative like laminate layers of wood for color contrast, etc.