PDA

View Full Version : Another Plywood Bowl

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-20-2007, 1:34 AM
Bernie Weishapl’s post of his plywood bowl reminded me of this one that I did some time ago. It’s segmented Baltic Birch ply, about 14” diameter, turned thin enough to be translucent. Plywood can indeed provide a unique look, but it sure is nasty stuff to turn.

Jonathon Spafford
03-20-2007, 2:47 AM
Gorgeous bowl... That is really an awesome piece! What is the finish on it?? The pieces of plywood kinda seem to form a shallow "U" shape... is that an optical illusion???

Jason Slutsky
03-20-2007, 6:03 AM
That's an amazing piece! It's obviously turned quite thin. I wouldn't think that plywood has the structural stability to hold up. I'm sure this must be a much better quality plywood than I'm used to dealing with.

Keel McDonald
03-20-2007, 6:53 AM
Great piece, Malcolm. Ever think of turning it into a lamp shade?

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys.

Baltic Birch is indeed a much higher grade of plywood. The "good" stuff has 13 plys in a 3/4" thickness and there are no voids. It's plenty stable, but chippy as you would expect. One of the big advantages of most segmented work is the elimination of having to turn "end grain"; that's obviously not the case with plywood - half of what you turn is end grain.

Keel, I actually thought about the "lamp shade" possibilities, but I don't know that the "work time/price" ratio would make any sense.

Paul Engle
03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Malcolm, VERY NICE, how many segments and what is the dark wood ? walnut? Did you just cut the blocks equal and or use dark venieer's in between, I know , I know ..... read the book:( :D same thing I tell my kids......ok, book on top of list...;)

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Amazing bowl Malcolm! Would never have thought of plywood as being translucent. Love the form and the way it just flows.

Joel Ficke
03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Malcolm,

That is just awesome. Thanks so much for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2007, 1:00 PM
Absolutely beautiful Malcolm. Love it.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-20-2007, 1:26 PM
Malcolm, VERY NICE, how many segments and what is the dark wood ? walnut? Did you just cut the blocks equal and or use dark venieer's in between, I know , I know ..... read the book:( :D same thing I tell my kids......ok, book on top of list...;)

Paul, the bowl was constructed from just one large, 14" diameter, wide, segmented ring (like a round flat platter with a center hole). The various layers were cut from this one ring at an angle so that they would stack into the cone-like shape. You're right, the technique is shown in my book, but in the book, I show how to cut angled half-rings using a band saw; these full-rings were cut on the lathe using a parting tool.

Mark Pruitt
03-20-2007, 3:01 PM
Malcolm, I'm glad I wasn't breathing the dust when you turned that piece but I sure am enjoying looking at it!:) Beautifully done as are all your pieces.

Jim Becker
03-20-2007, 5:43 PM
Wow...not only a great bowl, but an interesting idea for...a lamp shade! And yes, plywood (or any other resin-infused composite) is nasty to turn, but worth the occasional effort for something unique. Your example is absolutely beautiful!

Leo Pashea
03-20-2007, 7:33 PM
Very stunning work Malcomb, thank you for sharing this turning. I have long been a fan of your awe inspiring, segmented work. Your imaginative turnings are always a pleasure to see. For those that haven't had the opportunity to see Malcomb's work in person, it is a treat you will remember always.

Gary Herrmann
03-20-2007, 8:40 PM
Wow, Malcolm thats very impressive. I think I may have to pick up your book when my skills improve. Don't think I'll ever get to your level, but it'll be fun to try.