PDA

View Full Version : On design in response toa question...

Mark Singer
12-19-2003, 9:39 AM
In response to John Scarpa's question about "Wenge dining table and chairs" (Power tool forum)

John,
I spend a lot of time on design. I make a lot of rough hand sketches working out connections . I also design around what I can make and the equipment I have. I consider wood movement especially in tables and large surfaces. Then when I have a pretty good sense of the design I draw it on CAD to scale and this is very helpfull. Sometimes I will detail a joint to full scale, sometimes I just go for it. If I am unsure of a connnection I will make a sample joint to make sure of the look and if I can do it. That also helps for machine set up if I am not working with hand tools. Designing your own pieces forces you to think out each piece and for me is much more rewarding then executing a " canned " design from a magazine or plan. I won't copy someone else instead I draw inspiration from others work that pushes me further with my own.
My Krenov books are a bit tattered from admiration, yet I never tried to duplicte one of his pieces. Sometimes someone will ask me to make them a piece I made for my home....I can't do it I must change it to venture into unchartered waters....Its more exciting...what is the point of repeating yourself when there are an infinite number of new designs to create and more to learn. A custom home is designed for its specific owner as opposed to a tract home which attempts to suit the masses. Furniture designs should also be unique and be designed for the use and person they are for...maybe they can be ART as well.
Sorry, I got a little long in responding to design...I did because I think it is something we should all spend more time on...
Mark

Report Post | IP: Logged

Todd Burch
12-19-2003, 3:52 PM
Mark, on the topic of design, I have a question about your beautiful chairs.

Where the solid wood back meets either upright, how did you join them? That is a significant cross-grain situation, but at the same time, you want your joint to be tight. If I may ask, how did you do it?

Thanks, Todd

Mark Singer
12-19-2003, 9:25 PM
Mark, on the topic of design, I have a question about your beautiful chairs.

Where the solid wood back meets either upright, how did you join them? That is a significant cross-grain situation, but at the same time, you want your joint to be tight. If I may ask, how did you do it?

Thanks, Todd

There is a double mortise and tenon joint on each side...about 1/2" x 1 1/2". The wood is walnut and pretty stable. The glue I used is West Systems epoxy.There is a big surface area for glue contact. The backs are about 10" vertically...If movement occured it would be in that direction. Not too much of a risk the wood was well climatized and dry.
So far so good! Good question
Thanks,
mark

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 5:38 PM
Mark,
Thanks for your considerate reply. Sorry it took so long to reply. Now that I'm back in California I can catch up!

The insight to your approach will help me in the near future when I undertake my first major projects. I don't have much (any!) experience with furniture design but I have spent alot of time remodeling our home, especially the kitchen. Thinking back I did spend alot of time thinking about where I was going, sketching, using 2D cut outs on graph paper, etc. I'm usually very confident when I approach things that I haven't done before. However, I do admit to a little intimidation regarding taking what I have envisioned into the real 3 dimensional world. I can see where spending alot of time getting it right on paper will help. I especially liked your comments about detailing some of the joinery first. If I can get it down on paper, I'll minimize some of the larger, inevitable mistakes! :)

I know when I start the larger projects I'll be VERY glad that I have SMC to help me along the way.

John