PDA

View Full Version : Using Jet's Legs

Gregg Feldstone
03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I found out that I can buy the legset that goes with the Jet 1442 vs lathe seperately for about $200. I plan to use them 0n my palmgren lathe which has a 58" long bed and weighs 160lb. Can someone who has this lathe let me know how sturdy the legs seem? Would you guys recommend this?
I don't have the room now for a wood bench and like the idea of open space under the lathe for legroom and storage when not in use.

Richard Madison
03-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Greg,
The legs look about the same as on the 1642 (y'all correct me if wrong). If so, they are fairly massive, have "shelf hangers" for a tool shelf under the bed and a weight shelf near the floor.

Neal Addy
03-19-2007, 11:58 PM
I've got the 1442 with stock legs and I can tell you they are rock solid. I think the packing carton said they weighed about 60 lbs each. And like Richard said, they do have a slot for shelves.

Jim Podsedly
03-20-2007, 8:50 AM
i bought the leg set on ebay for $49 and then around $90 for shipping. They worked great for the Palmgren. I had to add a board on top of the leg and bolt the lathe on the baord since the holes did not match up.

here is the link:

Ooops. Ebay links are verboten.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-20-2007, 2:23 PM
i bought the leg set on ebay for $49 and then around $90 for shipping. They worked great for the Palmgren. I had to add a board on top of the leg and bolt the lathe on the baord since the holes did not match up.

here is the link:

Ooops. Ebay links are verboten.And the Pic is where?:D

Jason Anders
03-22-2007, 7:47 PM
I posted previously about my reasons for choosing the jet lathe legs for my Palmgren. I finally have mine setup and some pictures. I built a balast weight box similar to Dominic Greco's (article posted on this site and woodcentral site); mine is out of some utility type plywood I had laying around and stained blue with a coat of poly. I added some 3" glued/laminated plywood blocks to go from the legs to the Palmgren and to add some needed height. I didn't want to use a board all they way across to keep things open under the bed so I added some angle iron between the legs to provide some extra stability. The paint used is Rustoleum hammered blue and gray. The setup seems to work good so far. I do think though I will add a couple more inches in height with some bases for the legs like Dominic did. I would like to see some pictures of what other folks did with the legs.

60901 60902 60903 60904

Christopher K. Hartley
03-22-2007, 9:32 PM
Great Job Jason this setup really looks good and very practical as well. That is impressive iron like that.:)

Dominic Greco
03-22-2007, 10:26 PM
...I built a ballast weight box similar to Dominic Greco's ....I do think though I will add a couple more inches in height with some bases for the legs like Dominic did. I would like to see some pictures of what other folks did with the legs..

Jason,
NICE modifications to the original design! I like it! I'm really glad that you got some ideas from that article. I have to say I love the fact that you're all color coordinated! :D And when you add those trestle feet, I think you'll see a bit more stability, as well as some much added comfort.

I have one small suggestion for you. It has (almost) nothing to do with your lathe or the ballast box.

I notice that you have a concrete floor. Do you want to be REALLY comfortable while turning? Get yourself a horse stall mat. They sell them at Seed & Feed or Farm Supply stores. I got a 6' long x 4' wide x 3/4" thick mat for $40. I believe they're made from recycled tires. It was so heavy that I nearly busted a gut getting it out of the back of my truck and dragging it into place! :eek:

But once it's down, it is a real joy to work on. It insulates my feet from the cold concrete, and does wonders for my back. Another side benefit is vacuuming. Or rather, the trouble I DON'T have vacuuming. Since this mat is so heavy, I can vacuum right over it and it won't get picked up by the nozzle. Try that with those flimsy mats they sell in WW'ing catalogs!:D

Bob Hallowell
03-23-2007, 7:59 AM
Jason,
That looks great nice and sturdy, I just built a table out of utility oak for mine
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48946

Bob

Gregg Feldstone
03-30-2007, 4:22 AM
I appreciate the help!! I'm going to get the Jet legs.
I'd like to also see Domonics setup. What is the name of that thread?

Dominic Greco
03-30-2007, 8:58 PM
I appreciate the help!! I'm going to get the Jet legs.
I'd like to also see Dominic's setup. What is the name of that thread?

Gregg,
You can read the entire article here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/7/). If you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Dominic