PDA

View Full Version : 3D Graphics

Nigel Morgan
03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Hello All,

I read in the Epilog manual that there is specific software on the market for creating 3D images for the laser engraver, does anyone know of, or use any program to do this.

Cheers

Nigel

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2007, 11:40 PM
There are programs like Sketchup and Solidworks designed for doing 3D models for architectural and engineering work. Someties people give me files from those to have things cut and I cannot use them until they convert to normal vector files.

What you are looking for can be done by a skillful artist using Corel, Adobe Illustrator and the like, but it's tedious work. Other programs will take photos and convert them to 3D but they are like $1500-2,500. There are 3d cameras also.

For the purposes of a laser or CNC it's the blend of dark to light that controls the depth to make the 3D effect.

Rodne Gold
03-20-2007, 1:20 AM
3d is a waste of time on a laser , you cannot control depths adequately , surfaces are hardly stellar and artwork takes some time to prepare.
The samples you see on the mnfgrs websites are "canned" samples and in reality , creating a the artwork for a good effect is hugely time consuming.
I have NEVER used 3d (apart from seeing how it works) in any practical or money making application and I have been in lasering over many yrs and have 6 machines......so much for it's utility.

Larry Bratton
03-20-2007, 8:55 AM
3d is a waste of time on a laser , you cannot control depths adequately , surfaces are hardly stellar and artwork takes some time to prepare.
The samples you see on the mnfgrs websites are "canned" samples and in reality , creating a the artwork for a good effect is hugely time consuming.
I have NEVER used 3d (apart from seeing how it works) in any practical or money making application and I have been in lasering over many yrs and have 6 machines......so much for it's utility.

Right Rodne. Way too slow to be profitable. Looks cool but how do you produce enough to have a viable product. We run Enroute 3 plus for our CNC machine and will produce what they call 2-1/2D on signs using conical router bits. It looks nice and doesn't take forever. I think that the Epilog driver actually produces 2-1/2D when you use the rubber stamp feature. My Epilog EXT arrives tomorrow, so I can't elaborate much on 3d lasering, but I know about 3d with CNC router. Good software like Enroute Pro and Artcam are in the $6 to $7,000 range, that's enough to discourage me.

Dave Jones
03-20-2007, 5:47 PM
I've used LightWave 3D to do some 3D modelling and rendered from there using the "depth buffer" (shades of gray = depth). The results lasered OK, but the amount of time spent doing it was massive.

I could see if you were creating 3D details to add to a very expensive item then it might be worth the work. Otherwise it's more interesting as a way to market laser engravers than as a product made by laser engravers.

Garry McKinney
03-20-2007, 7:24 PM
I agree it can be time comsuming, but it can give great results, if you really work at it.

And thanks for the fourm guys been a real help.

Garry

Bill Cunningham
03-20-2007, 9:23 PM
I agree it can be time comsuming, but it can give great results, if you really work at it.

And thanks for the fourm guys been a real help.

Garry
What is the size of that piece Garry? And how long did it take to produce?

Dave Jones
03-21-2007, 3:26 PM
Nice image. Did you create it or buy it? What software, if any, was used?

Garry McKinney
03-21-2007, 3:49 PM
Bill the piece here is rather small at the request of the customer. It is only a 12 x 14 . The burn time is roughly 72 mins. Using a 120 ext epilog at 80 speed 100 power at 1200 dpi. The material is spalted maple.

The design software was corel 13 .
And I did it myself, on consignment .

Glad you liked it.
Garry

Mike Null
03-21-2007, 5:14 PM
Great artwork. How many passes did you make?

Until today I would agree with Rodne on virtually everything about lasering. Today I got a call to do 3d type stuff for a customer on a continuing basis. He's estimating $2,000 a year at a minimum.

Our big stumbling block is artwork so we're going to work on that to see if this is feasible. Another issue is finding the right material--it'll be plastic of some sort.

What ever I do it will be in Corel as I'm not buying new software.

Nigel Morgan
03-22-2007, 3:50 AM
Many thanks for all your replies

Rodne Gold
03-22-2007, 6:03 AM
Mike , exactly what does the customer wish to do with the 3d stuff?
Perhaps i can help with methods and materials

Garry McKinney
03-22-2007, 7:02 AM
Mike,
If I remember correctly, that was a 2 pass burn, but it has been a while since I did it. But the others are right about the art work being intense. Some of the 3-d burns we have done have required as much as 3 weeks to get the art work correct.

Depending on your shop rate , you can easily eat $2000.00 in doing the art work and never be ready to burn.

Mike Null
03-22-2007, 7:02 AM
Rodne:

Thanks for the offer. I've pm'd you on this as my answer is quite lengthy.

For the forum members, the project deals with candy molds and materials which might be best suited. Corel will work for this job.

Garry:
This customer understands about the art and will either have it ready or will pay for me to prepare it. The art here, other than being 3d, will be much like that used on plaques or acrylic awards and in many instances will be just mirrored engraving. The amount was a figure he threw out in a phone call. When I called on him yesterday it was obvious that we'd be looking at more than that and he was very happy.

Harvey Dawe
03-26-2007, 9:46 AM
The software that Epilog is referring to in the manual is LaserType by Type3. http://www.type3.us/lasertype.htm It is a fully featured 2,2.5 and 3 d graphics program specifically for lasers. As with all software of this type it is in the US$6500 range.
Harvey
Dogberry Designs

Wil Lambert
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
type3 is in the same catagory as ArtCAM. Personally I like ArtCAM. I have used both and would prefer ArtCAM.

Larry Bratton
03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Butttttt Wil ....Artcam is $7500 bucks, last time I looked. You gotta sell a lot of stuff just to buy the software!!!:eek:

Wil Lambert
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Butttttt Wil ....Artcam is $7500 bucks, last time I looked. You gotta sell a lot of stuff just to buy the software!!!:eek:

Yup ArtCAM is $7500 but if you are comparing type3 to ArtCAM I would spend the extra $1000 for the program. If you are only using ArtCAM for the 3D laser relief you will have to sell a lot of them to compensate you investment. If you use ArtCAM for CNC, laser and consulting for others your investment comes back quit easily. In the past I have done jobs that have surpassed the initial cost and were not possible without ArtCAM. I guess it all depends on what you will do with it and if you are a hobbyist or business. My business depends on ArtCAM for income.

:)

Wil

Larry Bratton
03-26-2007, 9:19 PM
Wil:
Always been my problem..champagne taste, beer pocket book. We somehow manage to squeak by with Enroute 3plus. 2-1/2d on CNC. I looked at Artcam not long ago, it's an amazing program but I doubt I could recoup the investment, but I have to admit, I was tempted!:o

Harvey Dawe
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't own a CAD package at present but am interested in getting a CNC router and will need the appropriate software. I have researched the Type3 product and did their online demo. I got a package on MasterCam and the inital price shocked me. I was quoted back in 2005 for Mastercam Router with Art add-on and Mainteneance Art (whatever that is) for CDN $12,725. I just attended a 1/2 day demo seminar on Solidworks 3D CAD package. It retails for just under $5k US. Is anyone familiar with Solidworks? And what advice do the users of MasterCam/ArtCam or Type3 have for someone like me who has never used CAD before and would like to create 2.5 D carvings for urns and boxes using either a laser or a CNC router.

Thanks
Harvey

Shari Loveless
03-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Harvey,
We have both laser and a cnc. ArtCam Pro is a professional 3D software and well worth the money. I tested a couple of software packages, but have not been sorry about purchasing AC Pro. 3D is all we do on our cnc - mostly large wildlife scenes. Once you carve 3D on a cnc, the laser 3D doesn't have the same umph (just my opinion).

Good luck in your future ventures.

SL

Wil Lambert
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Harvey,
If you are just looking for a 2 1/2D package why not look at ArtCAM Insignia. I don't know what the price is on it. MasterCAM and ArtCAM Pro are probably an overkill for what you want but then again once you have the higher end package you may make use for the software to move from 2 1/2d to full 3D.

Mastercam is designed for the metal industry more than the wood industry. Some of the toolpaths provided in there will stomp anything ArtCAM does offer but there is a reason for that. ArtCAM is owned by Delcam. Delcam make a high end machining package called PowerMILL. They can't have ArtCAM at $7500 compete with PowerMILL and 2-4 times that amount. So some of the machining routines are rudimentary.

Solidworks is just a modeling program. Before I purchased Solidworks I would look into Rhino. Rhino is $995 the last time I checked. It is a good program for nurb modeling.

If you are only using 2 1/2D why not check these people out. http://www.vectric.com/ . V-carve pro is under $500. I don't know if you can draw in it but if you own Corel you can easily do your artwork in Corel and export to any of the mentioned programs.

Another modeling program to try out and it is free for now is Moi. http://www.moi3d.com/ . I have played with it and have to say for it is fairly powerful. Mike the person behind the software helped develop Rhino.

As you look try out as many programs as you can. Most have demos. Even the big priced software has demo versions. You have to get them from the resellers but they do offer 30 day trials and sometime more.