PDA

View Full Version : For the Birds

Curt Fuller
03-19-2007, 9:12 PM
Every year the Ogden Nature Center has a bird house contest that goes along with a spring time, earth day type shindig they put on. So this year I decided to try and turn a birdhouse for it. This one is made from some Walnut logs I've had that were cracked pretty bad and not much good for anything but firewood or a birdhouse. It's 2 feet tall and about 1 foot across the eaves. Because it's going to hang outside I used some Thompson's Water Seal for the finish. I still need to do something to the eyebolt in the top so it's not so shiney and build a post/stand to hang it from.

two different pictures, neither very good.

Pete Jordan
03-19-2007, 9:16 PM
I love it Curt!

Did you just CA the pieces together?

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2007, 9:24 PM
Curt - that is really cool! Reminds me of one of those movies with 'wizards' in it. Great idea!

John Chandler
03-19-2007, 9:28 PM
Either a wizard or a single cow udder. ;) :) Seriously, I really do like it. I hope I can make one of those in the future. I am putting it my idea file. Great job.

Jonathon Spafford
03-19-2007, 9:50 PM
Beautiful piece... the grain and coloring in that wood is awesome! You did a nice job turning it! Love the rustic/weathered look!

David Walser
03-19-2007, 9:51 PM
Curt,

That's a wonderful birdhouse. One practical question, is the bottom removable? It would be nice to be able and clean the thing out at the end of each season.

Keith Burns
03-19-2007, 9:55 PM
Curt, I must tell you, this is by far the coolest birdhouse I've ever seen !!! It should win the contest for sure !!!:) :)

Neal Addy
03-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Curt, that's probably the best turned bird house I've EVER seen. Love it.

Great work!

Ralph Dobbertin
03-19-2007, 11:28 PM
very original and creative. Nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Very creative and very well done Curt! Another Fuller! Looks like it belongs in the movie "The Wizard of Oz!".....Well done Curt!

Jeffrey Fusaro
03-20-2007, 6:57 AM
very nice form! it's unique and it should look good in the natural surroundings.

well done.

Dale Gregory
03-20-2007, 7:09 AM
Spectacular! Great job! :)

Dale

George Conklin
03-20-2007, 7:14 AM
Outstanding!!! A Natural Edge birdhouse. Very creative and nicely done, Curt:) .

Mark Cothren
03-20-2007, 7:29 AM
Super birdhouse, Curt! What size is the hole/opening and what type of bird is it for? Just curious... that is some very nice and creative work!

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2007, 8:38 AM
Man....Curt.....that's awesome!!!! Very pretty and I like the form of the birdhouse. Very nice and very creative. :cool:

Glenn Hodges
03-20-2007, 9:17 AM
Curt, that one shows off the grain, is really unusual, and is so attractive.

Paul Engle
03-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Nice use of the cracked stuff Curt, that will make a fine temp home for a swallow. try some flat black on the eye bolt.

Curt Fuller
03-20-2007, 9:08 PM
Thanks all of you. This was my wifes idea. I've made quite a few birdhouse Christmas tree ornaments with a similar design so she told me to make a life sized one.

Pete, the bottom part has a 1/2" tenon at the top of it that's glued into the top with plain old titebond glue.

David, the bottom isn't removable but thanks for the idea. I'll try that on the next one.

Mark, the hole is 1 5/8". But coincidently my daughter who works at the nature center with the birds asked the same question. Apparently different birds like differents sized holes in their houses. I'll have to research that a little for the next one I do.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2007, 8:30 AM
Curt that is cool. I guess I will be doing a couple as my wife caught a glance of yours. Very nice. What did you finish it with?

Paul Engle
03-21-2007, 9:42 AM
Sweetttt , what bird did you size it for? It looks like a nome just hanging around :eek: :D

Curt Fuller
03-29-2007, 8:41 PM
This is the finished birdhouse with a little better picture. I ended up putting 3 coats of Thompson Water Seal and then 3 coats of Helmsman Spar varnish on it. The light was a little better for this picture.

Bill Wyko
03-29-2007, 8:59 PM
Very creative. i'm always amazed at the unique ideas you guys come up with. Just what I needed, another great idea to get my wheels spinnin'. Very nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
That is such a nice bird house... I think I posted earlier in this thread, but I just can't get over the dark swirly grain! Looks awesome... and the shape is perfect! I like the really long roof... looks like a gnome home ;)