PDA

View Full Version : If you like Eagles – lots of Eagles

Bruce Page
03-19-2007, 5:44 PM
I took these last Tuesday up in Kodiak Alaska. There were probably 100-200 Eagles flying around while a woman threw chum into the bay. I took the last pic of the lone Eagle sitting on the bullrail after the feeding frenzy was over – I was only about 8’ away, he just sat there as I shot pic after pic.

It was almost surreal.

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2007, 6:22 PM
Wow, we love eagles, and thought we were lucky to see two of them down low in a tree a few miles from here on the way into Redmond. That's a spectacular sight. I once saw one dive and come up with a 2-3 lb fish up in the Puget Sound off Whidbey Island. They are incredible creatures.

Rob Bodenschatz
03-19-2007, 6:26 PM
Nice.

E-A-G-L-E-S
EAGLES!!!!

John Shuk
03-19-2007, 8:19 PM
Wow, we love eagles, and thought we were lucky to see two of them down low in a tree a few miles from here on the way into Redmond. That's a spectacular sight. I once saw one dive and come up with a 2-3 lb fish up in the Puget Sound off Whidbey Island. They are incredible creatures.

I've been working at a National Guard base near the Hudson River for the past few weeks and there are about 8 eagles around for most of the day. I consider myself lucky to see them. I took my boys by to get a look at them but they really don't understand how lucky we are to observe them.
All I can say is that trumps my sighting by ALOT!

Jim Becker
03-19-2007, 8:22 PM
Wow! What a sight. I'll have to show Professor Dr. SWMBO this thread when she gets home.

BTW, ironic that I just read an article today on MSNBC.com that talked about a bald eagle nest spotted in the city of Philadelphia...the first in "a very long time". These wonderful birds are coming back after almost going the way of their dinosaur ancestors in the early 1980s.

Nancy Laird
03-19-2007, 8:29 PM
Reelfoot Lake, in West Tennessee, is an eagle refuge, and one can see all sorts of them there, but only if you know where to look. Several years ago, our local newspaper had a camera set up in a tree overlooking an eagle's nest and we were able to watch - on-line - the nesting, the hatching, the baby eagles, feeding time, and the growth of the babies. It was fascinating. Bruce, those pictures are great, especially the solo on the railing. Blow that one up and print it, you have a winner for the State Fair.

Nancy

Fred Voorhees
03-19-2007, 9:02 PM
That is something Bruce! I remember fishing on one of the local reservoirs here in central New Jersey around the first day or two of the new year a few seasons back and we saw a bald eagle flying above us for about a half hour. We were hoping that he was circling looking for something to dive after, but that never happened. It was still great to see such a magnificent animal. We don't get to see them that often - definitely not often enough.

Bruce Page
03-19-2007, 9:20 PM
Nancy, here's a few more of the solo artist.

Doug Shepard
03-19-2007, 9:24 PM
... I took the last pic of the lone Eagle sitting on the bullrail after the feeding frenzy was over – I was only about 8’ away, he just sat there as I shot pic after pic.

The way he was looking at you, he was probably trying to figure out if he had enough room left to squeeze you in as desert:D . Looks like a pretty big boy.

Awesome pics.

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2007, 9:31 PM
My Mom's in Port Angeles WA in the Olympic mountain foothills, where they fly over all the time. When I was up there last she told me that the neighbor lady looked out the window and saw an eagle with it's talons on her dog, it was a little too heavy for it to lift. She went out with a broom and smacked it until it let the dog go, but it just flew to the roof of my Mom's and and sat there for hours watching for the dog to go back out.That would have been a funny sight, though I hate to see the old woman arrested for molesting a protected species.

Dave Ray
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Great pics Bruce. Thank God we have a lot of Eagles here in VA. also. Right now we have a local TV station with a camera trained on a nest. The nest had three eggs only two have birthed chicks. You can watch this 24-7; great fun to look in on them once in a while.

Roy Wall
03-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Bruce,

Great pics! About 5 years ago I remember a lone Bald Eagle hung around our neighborhood for a while (winter 2002 ish). Anyway - one day this magnificent bird perched on our back deck for a few minutes. I was inside the window about 15' away. The bird was HUGE!! I felt like it could have picked up our 3yr old daughter at the time.

What a magnificent creature........!!

Nancy Laird
03-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Bruce, this photo
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60678&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1174353551 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60678&d=1174353551)
is the one for the fair contest! A winner hands down!

Nancy

Jeffrey Fusaro
03-20-2007, 7:09 AM
wow!

neat experience. thanks for posting the pics.

beautiful creatures!

Belinda Barfield
03-20-2007, 8:54 AM
Thanks so much for posting the pics! Looking at the eagles really started my day off right. LOML collects eagle carvings, cast pieces, etc., and I can't wait to show him your pics.:) Thanks again for sharing.

Al Willits
03-20-2007, 9:32 AM
Good post, my trips to Canada and northern Minn have let me see quite a few, most being maybe 30 or so once, we stopped fishing and just watched them for a while, actually drifted close enough to one in a tree to get some nice pictures, probably 8-10' away.

I rank that right up there with the awesome northern light show we seen one summer in Canada, as the two most best wonders of nature I've ever seen.
Has a tendency to humble one.

Least it did me.

Al

Joe Chritz
03-21-2007, 3:29 PM
Very cool.

I have been seing one for the last couple days flying over the east edge of town.

Not sure where the nest is but it is cool to see one around here. Been a few years since I had spotted one.

Nice photos.

Joe

Danny Hill
03-21-2007, 8:54 PM
Just had a Bald Eagle land in my backyard yesterday with a squirrel. Beautiful sight.

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 9:21 PM
Just had a Bald Eagle land in my backyard yesterday with a squirrel. Beautiful sight.

Not if you were the squirrel... ;)