PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mtn WW sights/sites???

Joe Meazle
03-19-2007, 4:14 PM
I am heading to Pidgeon Forge, TN next weekend. Do you guys have any sugestions for WW things to see and do? I will be at a cabin with the SWMBO and all of her family so I will be looking for some woodworking daytrips. This will help me avoid playing golf with her father. I enjoy being around her father I do not enjoy golf. I may go tour Lonnie Bird's School and Arrowmont. I will at least be making a stop at Woodcraft in Knoxville. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

David Hayes
03-19-2007, 8:31 PM
Check out Smoky MTN Woodcarvers in Townsend. About a 1/2 hr drive from Pigeon Forge. They have a lot of excellent carvings in there.

There are a couple of woodworking supplies/tools "superstores" in Pigeon Forge. May be a good place to pick up some odd and ends.

Enjoy your time in the Smoky MTNs.

Bob Wingard
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
There's a place in Maryville named Cherokee Hardware. I don't know if he's still around, but there used to be an older fella there who had a couple of barns full of Delta & Powermatic stuff. Mostly returns that he would repair & resell. Cherokee Hardware used to be, and maybe still is, the owner of those big outlets in Pigeon Forge. If that old feller is still around, he was a very interesting gent to talk with.

Gary Hoemann
03-20-2007, 8:43 AM
Gatlinburg, just about 5 miles through the park, is home to Arrowmont, a fine arts school including woodworking. Some nice things to see.

Rick de Roque
03-20-2007, 9:48 AM
Joe,
I don't know of any other places but I hope you have a great time. The LOML and I went there a few years ago and the Smokey Mtns are really pretty.

Rick

Lou Morrissette
03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Joe,
If you're interested in Intarsia, you might check out Roberts Studio in Seymour, TN. That's only a few miles from Pigeon Forge. Gail Roberts runs an interesting intarsia school there. Visit her web site for directions.

www.intarsia.com (http://www.intarsia.com)

Lou

Bill Turpin
03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Check the school out, plan a class, their food is wonderful. Smokey Mtn. Knifeworks at Sevierville. If you have enoigh money you could leave with 3000 different pocket knives. The kitchen knives are excellent also. SWMBO would enjoy it also. They have kitchen gadgets that I never seen elsewhere.

Bill in WNC mountains

Ben Abate
03-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I believe Lonney Byrd has a school just outside of Pigion Forge. Thats a guy to go see.

Gary Hoemann
03-20-2007, 2:30 PM
You will go by the knifeworks on your way into pidgeon forge just off the interstate. Just behind it is a tool outlet store. If you are going thru Knoxville, you will also go by the exit for Dandridge where Lonnie Byrd is located

Joe Meazle
03-20-2007, 9:21 PM
I got an email back from Lonnie Bird he said to come by but to call in advance. I have not talked with Arrowmont yet.