PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for PM3520?

CPeter James
03-19-2007, 2:43 PM
What do people recommend for a chuck for my 3520? Is the Stronghold overkill? I only want to buy one at this time, so I would like versatility. How about the Barracudas4 from Penn State or the Novas?

CPeter

Chris Barton
03-19-2007, 2:47 PM
Pete,

I have 4 chucks for mine including a Stronghold but, any of those are decent chucks. I would look for a set without serated jaws.

Dario Octaviano
03-19-2007, 2:53 PM
I have a Oneway Talon and everyone tells me it is enough to handle 99% of what I can mount on my PM3520B (along the ways).

That said, I will need more than the standard #2 jaws to handle heavy work like coring.

Don't know anything about barracuda 4 but heard tons of good reviews about B 2.

Nova (SN2) is also up there as well as Vicmarc (and the Grizzly knock off)

With these, I think you can't go wrong. Both Oneway Stronghold and Nova Titan are great chucks but if you will only have one...it is not recommended (to me).

For now, I heard the one that will give you the most bang for your buck is the Barracuda 2 package w/ multiple jaws.

CPeter James
03-19-2007, 3:00 PM
The Barracuda 4 is like the 2 except bigger. One thing about the Stronghold is that the serrated jaws mean you have to leave a long spigot and the turn it off later. I am inclined to go with the Barracuda 4 and get the Jumbo Jaws.

CPeter

Dario Octaviano
03-19-2007, 3:14 PM
If you get the B-4...do give us a review.

I am looking for a big chuck and up to now Stronghold and Titan are the only ones in consideration. Would love to get a cheaper one if the quality is comparable.

Reed Gray
03-19-2007, 3:48 PM
I use the Vicmark on my PM. I have one of the bigger ones, and 2 of the smaller ones. I prefer the dovetail jaws as they seem to hold better, and you do want a good grip for coring which I do a lot of. I do use a recess rather than a tenon.
robo hippy

Jim Becker
03-19-2007, 4:32 PM
If you don't have a chuck already, the Stronhold or the Vicmarc 120 are both good choices. I prefer the OneWay jaw designs, however.

Matt Haus
03-26-2007, 1:25 AM
Folks,

I have the same question. I have two talons and the PM 3520b is on it's way. I am wondering if I should get the Stronghold, it's 189 right now on Hartville. I have the #3 jaws for the Talon and have the option of saving some money and getting the #3 tower jaws for big projects. I have not turned anything larger than 8 inches but want the option to go up to 18 or 19 inches if I want to.

Should I get the stronghold (on sale right now) or get the #3 tower jaws for the Talon. I guess what I am asking is, will I ever say "I should of gotten the Stronghold while it was on sale". SHould I get the #2 or #3 tower jaws? You opinion is appreciated.

Matt

Mark Pruitt
03-26-2007, 8:32 AM
I have two Talons and a 3520B. With the proper jaws, the Talon can handle probably 90% of everything I will ever turn on my 3520. When it is time to turn something huge, I will quite possibly go with a set of Tower Jaws rather than purchase a Stronghold. That's not to say the Stronghold doesn't have its place. But with the advent of the Tower Jaws there are probably applications that before called for a Stronghold that now can be accomplished with a Talon.

One other thing about a Stronghold as opposed to a Talon: While the Stronghold's hefty size provides great holding power for large pieces, there are also times when its size can be more of a problem than a solution. That is, its hefty size can get in the way of cuts made closest to the axis. Just a thought.

Rich Souchek
03-26-2007, 8:54 AM
I had the same questions a while back when a PM 3520B arrived, and added a stronghold with #3 tower jaws to my original Talon w/ #2 & 3 jaws. Talked with the Oneway technical people in Canada about it also.
The Talon handled about 90% of my turning, but I had problems with coring while using the Talon.
Long & short of it is got the stronghold and still can not core. Think the coring knives are twisted which causes binding. The stronghold IS a massive chuck, and the #3 jaws-well, they must have been designed here in Texas. Big. Beefy. Definietly overkill for anything that a mid sized man can lift by hand and put on the lathe. At least half of my work is smaller than the jaws are in diameter.
Oneway's original chuck is the mid-size, believe 4" dia. It does use tommy bars, but people who use them say they work good. Anyway, I now believe this would have been a better choice for the turnings I do.
On the other hand, I do use the Stronghold chuck with the #3 jaws to turn some closed end foutain pen bodies. I made a jam chuck which fits it and it is smooth.
Guess that proves that you can use it all, if you want to.
Rich S.

Hilel Salomon
03-26-2007, 9:25 AM
I'm a lousy turner with lots-and I mean lots of chucks. Got five each of the strongholds and Nova2s, and one Vic 120 and one axminster. I think that there are two answers to your question, with the first one depending on what you want to turn. If it won't be big and heavy, then forget about the Vic and the stronghold. The slightly smaller ones-be it the talon or the sn2 will be fine.
The second answer depends on the kind of consumer you are. If you're like me, and always looking to buy something bigger and more expensive, long before you even need them or know how to use them, then start with the monsters and skip the early half steps. If you're going to buy one and only one chuck, remember that jaws are not interchangeable except among the smaller novas. Talon jaws do not fit the stronghold chucks.
Good Luck, Hilel.

CPeter James
03-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I did order the Stronghold and the #1 and #3 jaw sets from Hartville. I was really interested in the Barracuda but with the sale at Hartville, i went with the Stronghold. I will probably never use the #3 jaw and maybe not the #1 either, but the chance to get a first class product at a good price was too much to pass up.

Now All I need is the lathe!! It is on order and should come in the next week or so. Patience is not one of my virtues!!

CPeter

Brodie Brickey
03-26-2007, 1:40 PM
CPeter,

You'll use the #3 jaws the minute you start coring large blanks. The #2 will be too small for coring.