PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ben's Best Scrapers from PSI?

Bob Opsitos
03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
While poking through my catalog from PSI I saw they have some HHS 3/8" thick x 1-1/2" wide scrapers. I've been looking at getting one from the better tool suppliers, but at $70-90 per I've not been able to convince myself to pick one up.

These are $22.50 but made in China.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lx130.html

Any thoughts on quality? Being a scraper I expect I can tolerate a little lower quality than on a bowl gouge or something. I could pick up a couple and regrind them to whatever shape I need. Sounds too good to be real deal.

Thanks
bob

Doug Collins
03-19-2007, 2:47 PM
I've got several of the Benjamin's Best chisels, including a round nose scraper and the square nose scraper, I haven't had any problems with them.

I haven't turned a lot of projects, but they've worked fine for the things I've done. I also have never used a high-priced scraper, so I don't know how it would compare to a more expensive one.

My $.02

CPeter James
03-19-2007, 3:25 PM
I bought a Ben's Best roughing gouge last summer as a trial and found it to be entirely satisfactory. The finish is not quite up to the Sorby, but the price was 1/4 of that and I smoothed it up myself. It takes a good edge and cuts well. I am going to buy some more real soon.

CPeter

Ralph Lindberg
03-19-2007, 4:04 PM
I have a full set of round and hook, they are certainly worth the $$$

Jim Becker
03-19-2007, 4:33 PM
The BB HHS tools are generally good values from what I've seen.

Bill Bolen
03-19-2007, 4:34 PM
I too have several of their scrapers including the one you wrote about and I find them to be excellent. Both the 1" and the 1 1/2" are much thicker than the 3/4" ones. I've found that their 3/8" spindle gouge, after re grinding to a fingernail shape, is my favorite detail gouge. I'm going to sell my crown on EBay some day. Thats how much I like BB tools so far.
Bill