PDA

View Full Version : This is what I did today

Christopher Zona
03-18-2007, 11:56 PM
I've been scrounging for materials to build a homemade lathe. Work was getting rid of this cooling reservior. I spied the motors on it.

There were 3 WEG 575v, 3 phase motors - 2hp, 3hp and 5hp. Thinking about bartering with a rebuilder for something new and 220v single phase. More practical for residential service.

Plus, I have a hot tub to boot! Or a rain water collector. Depends on the wife.

This is what I haul with, a Neon and a hand-me-down homemade trailer. Didn't add it to the other thread.

Progress updates on the lathe are at my blog and soon on the website. Thanks in advance if you visit either.

Rich Souchek
03-19-2007, 8:03 AM
Christopher,
Looks like you scored good today.
The 575 volt 3 phase motor voltage seemes pretty odd, but trading with a rebuilder should work. Is that a common voltage for commercial stuff there?
rich S.

Christopher Zona
03-19-2007, 9:33 PM
I'm not quiet sure how power is arranged in our building, but I know we use a lot of it. When the Northeast had the big blackout a few years back the electric company called our business and asked us to scale back our production and testing facilities because we were the largest consumer on that particular power grid.

Rod Sheridan
03-20-2007, 1:49 PM
600 volt power is the standard for low voltage 3 phase systems in Canada, similar to the 480 volt 3 phase system in the US......Rod.

P.S. Over the years it's been 550/575/600, 600 is the modern value.