PDA

View Full Version : My Attempt at a Demilune Table

Guy Germaine
03-18-2007, 6:59 PM
Not 100% done yet, but close enough. I still have a little more finish work to do, but I thought I'd post it anyway. This was my first veneering project using the vacuum press.

http://www.fototime.com/A567F3567FD0EA4/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E200472E1F4058D/standard.jpg

There were a lot of firsts for me on this project.
First time using a vacuum press. I must say, if you have any doubts about getting a vacuum press, throw them out the window and grab your checkbook. The press has to be the best tool I've purchased in a long time. Other than a "test run", this was my first time at using a vacuum press to do veneering. What a difference having the proper tool makes!! I should have bought one years ago.

First time cutting veneer into anything other than a square. I had no idea how to make the bookmatched starburst pattern when cutting veneer, so I just basically thought through it and tried to visualize what it would look like. I am pleased at the way it turned out, for my first time.

First time doing bent lamination.
If I didn't learn anything else from this, it's that you CANNOT overbuild your bending form. I didn't build the form ala David Marks, using a solid stack of MDF. I built mine with a 3/4" top and bottom skin, and 3/4" "studs" every 6 inches. Even then, as I was claming the stack of resawn walnut for the apron, I heard the form "crack", but it was too late to stop. It came out ok, but I didn't get as good of clamping pressure on the ends as I did in the middle. The next time, I'll build a solid stack for the form.

First time doing bridle joints.
A couple of firsts here. First time using the band saw to make the cheek cuts, and the first time using those tools they talk about that don't have any cord. ;)
I definitely need some decent chisels, and PRACTICE! :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking.

richard poitras
03-18-2007, 7:37 PM
Guy , Nice looking table !.....I had one question ,What kind of vacuum press did you get ? The reason I asked is I am thinking about get one and was just trying to decide the best kind / one to get ?...Also what kind of bag and how big of a pump ( cfm)....?

Guy Germaine
03-18-2007, 7:48 PM
I bought the press that Woodcraft carries.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5086
I looked at building my own from a kit, but decided to just go ahead and buy one that was ready to go. You can get by cheaper, and get a setup that is bigger, and stronger, but I decided I had enough projects going on. I didn't need/want to spend the time building something else. :)

richard poitras
03-18-2007, 7:59 PM
Thanks for the insite Guy ... I know what you meen about to many things going ... I am not sure yet to just buy one or go with Joe Wood Workers set up ....

Bert Johansen
03-18-2007, 8:00 PM
Looking good Guy! Very, very nice indeed. I like your choice of woods, too. Let's see the finished article when you are done!

Don Bullock
03-18-2007, 8:12 PM
That's a beautiful table. Congratulations on all your firsts. I bet that feels great!!

John Timberlake
03-18-2007, 8:20 PM
Great job on the table. Love the top. You did a great job on getting the sunburst pattern right.

Roy McQuay
03-18-2007, 8:26 PM
It sure doesn't look like a first attempt to me. It is beautiful. My favorite woods for contrast too.

Jim Becker
03-18-2007, 8:42 PM
Nice work, Guy...that really does look pretty challenging and your result is great!

Corey Hallagan
03-18-2007, 9:12 PM
That's beautiful Guy, nice work!

Corey

Gary Herrmann
03-18-2007, 9:18 PM
Great table Guy. Awesome job on the top. Don't let those Newfs nibble on the legs.

jonathan snyder
03-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Very nice Guy. The veneer is beautiful! Great choice of woods.

Jonathan

lou sansone
03-19-2007, 4:53 AM
nice table and like you said, a good deal of first time things went into it.
keep up the good work
lou

Guy Germaine
03-19-2007, 7:13 AM
Thanks guys. I think the most challenging part of this project was the patterns. I didn't use any plans, so I have to make all of the patterns from scratch. Getting them to fit was definitely a challenge, but I think it came out Ok.

Lou Ferrarini
03-19-2007, 7:30 AM
Very nice table. I am not brave enough to attempt something like that.

Larry Fox
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Guy, wonderful table - very nice work. Veneer turned out awesome.

Can you share some information and maybe some additional pictures of the legs and where they meet the apron? I am working on a project where I would like to use tapered legs and trying to decide the best way to do it and your execution looks outstanding. Thanks in advance for your time.

Al Willits
03-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Been thinking of puting together a vacuum press, after looking at this I am gonna have to get it started, very nice, excellent pattern, nice project.

Not bad at all for first project, not bad at all.

Al

John Gregory
03-19-2007, 11:08 AM
I bought the press that Woodcraft carries.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5086
I looked at building my own from a kit, but decided to just go ahead and buy one that was ready to go. You can get by cheaper, and get a setup that is bigger, and stronger, but I decided I had enough projects going on. I didn't need/want to spend the time building something else. :)

I have the same unit from Woodcraft, and I think Guy made an excellent choice ;) . I have been very please with it.

By the way Guy, you made a lovely table. Looks great, way to go.

Guy Germaine
03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Guy, wonderful table - very nice work. Veneer turned out awesome.

Can you share some information and maybe some additional pictures of the legs and where they meet the apron? I am working on a project where I would like to use tapered legs and trying to decide the best way to do it and your execution looks outstanding. Thanks in advance for your time.

Pictures wouldn't do much good as I covered the jointery with some Cherry accents. (To hide the sad looking joints :rolleyes:)
They are just bridle joints. Similar to a mortise and tenon, except the tenon is the apron. I just cut a "notch" in the leg the same thickness as the apron, and as long as the apron is wide (4" X 3/4"). I then had to sand a flat spot on the apron, where the legs attach so they would fit. As for the taper, I made myself a tapering jig, and just decided on what I thought looked good for the taper.

Larry Fox
03-19-2007, 1:51 PM
Pictures wouldn't do much good as I covered the jointery with some Cherry accents. (To hide the sad looking joints :rolleyes:)
They are just bridle joints. Similar to a mortise and tenon, except the tenon is the apron. I just cut a "notch" in the leg the same thickness as the apron, and as long as the apron is wide (4" X 3/4"). I then had to sand a flat spot on the apron, where the legs attach so they would fit. As for the taper, I made myself a tapering jig, and just decided on what I thought looked good for the taper.

Thanks for your time Guy. Are they tapered on all 4 sides (they appear to be). Forgive the possibly dumb question but do the legs taper at a consistent angle from top to bottom or does the taper stop just below where the apron comes in? I only ask as this would mean that the apron does not meet the leg at a 90-degree angle (it would be something less).

It really is a fantastic table.

L

Guy Germaine
03-19-2007, 2:24 PM
Are they tapered on all 4 sides (they appear to be).
Yes, the legs are tapered on all four sides. I wanted them to look a little more "delicate" on this table.

Forgive the possibly dumb question but do the legs taper at a consistent angle from top to bottom or does the taper stop just below where the apron comes in?
The taper starts just below the apron. I left the first 4" (width of the apron) square to keep some "meat" at the joints. If I remember correctly, they taper from 1 1/2" at the top to 3/4" at the bottom.

I only ask as this would mean that the apron does not meet the leg at a 90-degree angle (it would be something less).
By leaving the top 4" square, the legs actually do meet the apron at 90*. I did that so I have a reference point when I glued the legs to the apron.

It really is a fantastic table.
Thanks a bunch!

Roy Wall
03-19-2007, 2:40 PM
Guy - add my echo to the list of praises...that is a terrific table!

Very Impressive.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2007, 3:00 PM
Very nice piece. The top and the legs are great.