PDA

View Full Version : Cut-Off Bin

Jerry Todd
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Had some left over plywood from my shop cabinets so I put together a much needed storage container for small peices of lumber. Plans were from ShopNotes issue 71, page 29.
Jerry

Lloyd Robins
12-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Nice looking holder. Did you use your Kreg for the joints?

Jerry Todd
12-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Nice looking holder. Did you use your Kreg for the joints?
Thanks for the comments Lloyd, and yes I used my Kreg to put it together. Saves a lot of time. I find myself using it more & more.
Jerry

Steve Roxberg
12-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Looks great, my shop is in the basement and I have the area under the stairs for storage of small parts. That is really interesting though, if I had more floor space, I might build one.

Noah Alkinburgh
12-19-2003, 7:59 AM
Man that sure beats the diaper box my scraps are piled in! Very nice.

Noah

Byron Trantham
12-19-2003, 8:28 AM
Jerry, looks good. Nothing like having things organized!

Edward E Wilson Jr
12-19-2003, 8:34 AM
Jerry:

Very nice looking. Have not yet had time to build. Am working on completing another 4 Christmas Ornaments which I should complete today, or tomorrow at the latest.

Ed

Jim Becker
12-19-2003, 9:08 AM
Doh!!! Another thing I need to build for the shop. Right now, my "cut-off" bin is a 30 gallon metal can, but there is way too much material in "other places". Thanks for the reminder, Jerry!

Jason Roehl
12-19-2003, 9:12 AM
Doh!!! Another thing I need to build for the shop. Right now, my "cut-off" bin is a 30 gallon metal can, but there is way too much material in "other places". Thanks for the reminder, Jerry!

Jim, I'm even a step down from that---I use one of those cardboard barrels!! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-19-2003, 9:18 AM
Jim, I'm even a step down from that---I use one of those cardboard barrels!! :rolleyes:

I think that Noah has the prize...a diaper box.

I have an extra 30g fiber barrel (the original from my cyclone) that I throw the small cut-offs in to retain them for kindling for the wood stove in the great room. It fits nicely under the outfeed table. But Jerry's example is much better for the "usable" off-cuts. 'Gonna have to build one of those someday...

Chris Padilla
12-19-2003, 9:20 AM

Hmm, how does an old plastic Rubbermaid laundry basket strike you? :D That is for the shorter pieces. I use a HD orange bucket for the longer thinner strips!

Chris

Alan Turner
12-19-2003, 9:27 AM
I can't bear to pitch wood one might need, so I have it everywhere, but much is in the ceiling joists since floor space is at a premium. Just screw up a piece of plywood to the bottom of the joists, and pile it in. Also have about 5 drywall buckets filled, etc. I think I could go into box making and never have to visit Groff & Groff again. But, this is not what I do so they just keep accumulating.

Tyler Howell
12-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Plastic milk crates, 5 gallon buckets (guarenteed to tip over every time you walk past) and a heavy card board box for me. The box is on a wooden dolly with wheels so that makes it OK. tjh

Tyler Howell
12-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Alan,
I know a guy whos garage caved in with your storage method. Yes the car, truck and Harley were in it at the time.

TJH

Byron Trantham
12-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Jerry, here's mine. Looks cool but unfortunately it always has something leaning against it so I don't get to use the roll-out feature. ;) I also use three 5 gallon buckets for tall thin stuff.

BTW, I'm 40 punds lighter now. :D

Jerry Todd
12-19-2003, 7:39 PM
Jerry, here's mine. Looks cool but unfortunately it always has something leaning against it so I don't get to use the roll-out feature. ;) I also use three 5 gallon buckets for tall thin stuff.

BTW, I'm 40 punds lighter now. :D
Bryon,
Now that is cool wood storage. I like your set up. Kind of wish I had seen yours before I built mine.
Jerry