PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2007, 6:49 PM
Well didn't get much time for turning this weekend. Did clock calls all day Friday. Had company show up Saturday and stay most of the day. Then had to teach at church this morning. So I had been playing around and doing some glueing of wood for the past couple of weeks. So today I decided to put it on the lathe and play. Here is a bowl I glued up of scrap plywood I had lying around. The fourth layer up I inserted some walnut. The bottom is cherry just so I could have a good solid tenon. Wasn't sure how it would hold up being hollowed. Well it did well. The walls are 1/4" thick and finish so far with 2 coats of Watco Teak Oil. It is 5 3/4" across and 5 1/4" tall. Will buff when dry. That will have to wait as I am on the road this week. Anyway something to play with.

Gary Herrmann
03-18-2007, 6:55 PM
Thats very cool, Bernie. I'm going to have to try that. Was the ply (and all the glue) hard on your tools?

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2007, 6:59 PM
Yes it was Gary. I mean it didn't ruin them but had to sharpen a couple of extra times. Just did it for fun and actually it was a bet that a f...worker here in town said I could make a bowl out of it. :D:D

Jonathon Spafford
03-18-2007, 8:09 PM
Cool bowl... Most purists don't like material like this, but there are some neat bowls that I have seen made from plywood... I really like this one!!! Great job!

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2007, 8:12 PM
Great idea Bernie! Reminds me of a beehive! Make sure you post a pic once it has been buffed. Nice work!

Pete Jordan
03-18-2007, 8:23 PM
Bernie,

Did you use your new hollowing system on this? It turned out great!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2007, 9:21 PM
I really haven't had to get it completely setup yet Pete. :mad::mad: Just not enough hours in a day. I made this bowl in about 2 hrs. That is all the time I have had to turn. Next weekend Pete it will be on the lathe.

Christopher Zona
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Bernie,

Great end result. I saw something similar in a recent issue of Woodturning Design. I've wanted to try it myself. I think it would be similar to using Paralam beams.

Keith Burns
03-19-2007, 8:08 AM
Great piece Bernie !! :) :)

Mark Pruitt
03-19-2007, 8:15 AM
Cool looking piece Bernie. If I tried that with the plywood I have on hand I'd be looking for a way to fill the voids!:rolleyes: :p

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2007, 9:03 AM
Thanks everyone. It was a lot of fun and it was different turning. The LOML says it ought to make a great conversation piece so it is sitting on the mantel with dried flowers in it. :p I told her I am going to put a coat or two of lacquer on it. She wants gloss. Gloss it is.

Bill Wyko
03-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Berni, nice job! What a great use of materials.:D

Johnathan Bussom
03-19-2007, 4:17 PM
Cool Bowl Bernie, just what grade plywood did you use???? I have used some ply for lawn ornaments but ended up with alot of filled holes, certainly I wasn't using marine grade but it wasn't the real cheap stuff either!

John

Ron Chamberlin
03-19-2007, 5:25 PM
Nice job! Plywood works better than might be expected. I have made a couple of them. Made some from exterior plywood, with a cherry base. The ext. ply has black glue lines which are pretty neat. Also made one from baltic plywood, 1/2 thick, with pieces of cherry veneer between each of the baltic pieces. Fun stuff.

Bob Hallowell
03-19-2007, 5:37 PM
Bernie,
That's a really cool piece. Very different!

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2007, 5:40 PM
Cool Bowl Bernie, just what grade plywood did you use???? I have used some ply for lawn ornaments but ended up with alot of filled holes, certainly I wasn't using marine grade but it wasn't the real cheap stuff either!

John

It was just regular plywood. I think good both sides. I may try another one with baltic birch plywood. Those are pretty neat. I am out of town but the LOML tells me she sold 2 for potpourri pot.

John Chandler
03-19-2007, 6:35 PM
I like plywood bowls and yours looks real neat. I have some bowls that i bought years ago from a turner in the surrounding area. He had a shallow bowl made from plywood that I bought too - it was cheap and it looks neat. I use it for a change bowl in my closet. I plan on making a bowl from plywood when I start doing bowls. I have wondered about the plywood used. In the store the plywood doesn't look like it has much contrast between layers like that in your bowl. Did you use ordinary plywood?

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-20-2007, 1:30 AM
Bernie, you're a brave man; not many are willing to tackle the nastiness of plywood. I did one a couple of years ago and said that I'd probably not do another. I'll dig out a photo and post it.