PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please.

Cliff Polubinsky
03-18-2007, 6:07 PM
The annual bonus came in and so the first thing to do was to go on a LN binge. I already had the LN medium shoulder plane so I added the LA jack, LA smoother, 60 1/2, #85 scraper plane and the #100 Model Maker's plane. Went from 1 to 6 LN planes in about a week.

These are joining a Stanley 7, an antique French wooden scrub, a Stanley 4c and a Stanley 5. All decent planes but nothing in the LN class.

Here's the question. If I get a second blade for the LN Jack and the Smoother I can set them up with a 50 degree bevel for figured wood. In that case is there any reason to hold on to the Stanley smoother and jack? I seriously doubt that I could fettle them enough to match the LN performance without spending much time that could be spent making things rather than trying to make tools work. Additionally, I could then pass them on to someone who doesn't have one, spreading the wealth, so to speak. And the amount of storage space decreases, which those of you with a small shop will understand is definitely a good thing.

All suggestions are appreciated. Even those that aren't followed.

Cliff

Wiley Horne
03-18-2007, 8:29 PM
Hi Cliff,

Do you ever work roughsawn lumber with handplanes? If so, you could put a heavy camber on those two Stanleys and use them for initial stock prep. Particularly the jack plane--traditionally a jack plane implies a substantial camber for initial prep. Makes the work go much faster, and approaches 'enjoyable'.

Wiley

Derek Cohen
03-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I would do as Wiley suggests with the #5. The #4 could be set up as a smoother as well, but one that will take a coarser cut. This will save the LN for finishing work.

Regards from Perth

Derek (with more than one smoother)