PDA

View Full Version : Repairs to Brazillian Rosewood tote

Adriaan Schepel
03-18-2007, 6:02 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at a plane or two at the moment (Bailey pattern) with Brazillian Rosewood hardware.

As you know, many of these planes come with the top horn of the rear tote snapped off. Given the fact that Brazillian Rosewood has been protected since 1992, what timber do you guys use to patch up with? What blends in well as regards colour and grain? Any dyes or stain required? Recommended finish to help everything blend?

I know Bob Smalser has demonstrated a tote repair on a Stanley No.5, but he did it using a small piece of Brazillian Rosewood (as would I, if I had it). Getting Brazillian Rosewood is not an option for me in Australia (I'm not prepared to shell out big dollars for a tiny piece of pre-ban material plus exorbitant postage).

As I am writing from Australia (the bottom end of the world), internationally well-known timbers would be helpful in terms of recommendation.

BTW ... if you've got a photo of a nice tote repair you want to show off to the world, here's your excuse to do so.

Cheers,
Adriaan

Steve Clardy
03-18-2007, 7:40 PM
I usually have a donor tote around to use.
Cut a small piece off and shape.

Or, I have also used walnut, with a rosewood stain on top of the walnut.
General Finishes Brand, Rosewood waterbase stain

Pam Niedermayer
03-18-2007, 9:12 PM
LN sells replacement knobs and totes, perhaps they have some rosewood ones laying about.

Pam

Terry Bigelow
03-18-2007, 9:43 PM
Check out highland Hardware here in GA. they have a very nice rosewood replacement set (knob & tote) for only $30. Might still end up on top with shipping rather than buying rosewood http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=635

Steve knight
03-19-2007, 12:50 AM
cocobolo is fairly close though it is lighter and more flashy. I was told of a wood that is almost exactly the same but I can't rmember the name and it was 30 a bf here in the us. I was given some 4x4's of the wood it was old railroad ties if you can imagine that. the wood is pretty dark and that makes it hard to match. there are some cocobolo that is as dark but it has a more pronounced grain. myself I think cocobolo looks nicer.