PDA

View Full Version : need advice on restoring a Craftsman jointer

Zahid Naqvi
03-18-2007, 5:13 PM
I was given an old Sears Craftsman jointer and I am in the process of cleaning it up. It has been sitting in a shed for a few years and has a bit of rust. I have completely disassembled the jointer and am in the process of cleaning up the table, fence etc. Since I have never done something like this before I need some advice on a few things.

1. What is the recommended procedure to clean cast iron surfaces.
2. how do you clean up painted surfaces, most of the japanning or paint is intact, just covered in saw dust and grime.
3. Screws and nuts etc.

any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Nancy Laird
03-18-2007, 5:57 PM
For the painted surfaces, just use a LOT of 409 - it won't hurt the paint and will remove the grime in a flash.

For the screws and bolts and nuts, just pour them into a jar with some 409 and let them sit for a day - shake well and pour off the liquid, spread out on a towel and let them dry.

I can't help you with the cast iron - others know more than I do about that process - but 409 is THE best for just plain grime.

Nancy

Joe Chritz
03-18-2007, 6:56 PM
There are lots of ways to clean cast iron.

Blasting is one method I have used but wouldn't be suited to machine tops.

The other is just elbow grease and an abrasive with something for lubricant. Brake fluid works good, just be sure to clean it well with mineral spirits after you are done.

This will get rid of surface rust well. You will still have some stains but it will be flat and smooth, the two most important qualities.

Joe

Bruce Page
03-18-2007, 7:12 PM
Zahid, grey scotch-brite, kerosene and some elbow grease will clean up the tables & fence. It will be a messy job so wear some rubber/nitrile gloves to protect your hands. As Nancy mentioned, 409 will clean up the painted surfaces nicely, an old tooth brush works well for getting into the nooks & crannies. I use a solvent to clean up nuts & bolts.

Zahid Naqvi
03-18-2007, 7:48 PM
Thanks guys I'll go get some 409 I guess. I sanded the cast iron with some scotch brite and mineral spirits, it was messy but it took care of the surface rust. Fortunately the rust was only on the surface and hadn't penetrated deeper except one or two spots. Next up is the arbor/shaft and the housing for blades. That'll be hard to reach, but hopefully I can get to it by a sandpaper wrapped around a stick. I wanted to clean it up just enough so that the blades alignment is not effected.

Larry Conely
03-18-2007, 8:18 PM
I have also used metal conditioner to clean up cast iron. Once the loose scale and easily removed rust are gone, apply the metal conditioner. Use in a well ventilated location. Several applications may be necessary.

Metal conditioner is used by automotive painters to condition the metal prior to painting. It will put a very, very fine etch on the metal. Follow directions. It must be removed and neutralized quickly. It sounds like more work than it is.

Metal conditioner can be purchased anywhere automotive paint supplies are purchase. It can be purchased concentrated, or already mixed.

Larry

Jeff Miller
03-18-2007, 8:24 PM
Hi Zahid

Try a wirewheel that you put in a drill for the cutter head just try to stay away from the knives unless you are going to have them sharpened,if you are take them out and have at it,shine everything up.Have fun.

By the way what's the model number?

Mine is a 103.20660 and looks like this

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/shop/shop027.jpg

Zahid Naqvi
03-18-2007, 8:34 PM
Jeff, yours is quite nice, the model number on mine reads 113-20680. I have taken out the knives, as they need a sharpening anyway. I like the idea of the wire wheel.

Ronald L Cool
03-18-2007, 10:53 PM
citrus orange cleaner seem to work well for me and zeb cleaner/oil

Roy Bennett
03-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Zahid, the Craftsman Model # starting with 113. indicates it was made by Emerson - a good mfg. I have a 113.232240 which is probably similar to yours, so contact me if you have any design specific questions.