PDA

View Full Version : Joys and Pains of Frozen Wood

George Tokarev
03-18-2007, 4:59 PM
Been several good above-freezing days already, and the birch chunks I neglected to rough last fall were partially revealed this afternoon. I whacked one free of the ice with a sledge and fired up the chainsaw. It was from a good-sized butt, so I made a 15.5 salad bowl blank and a 14.5 centerpiece bowl. Had to chip ice off the one even after a couple hours in the shop making a large puddle on the floor.

Frozen wood can be painful on the hands, so I had to modify my normal tool presentation to keep the shavings from running down the flute of the gouge. Still stopped a couple times when hollowing to dip the hand in some warm water. On the plus side, as the pictures show, there was almost no water throw onto the tablesaw, as is normally the case. The wonderful wintergreen smell was still there in spite of the cold.

I'll let the bark-on piece cure a few days and thaw out before I turn it for thickness. Never have had a lot of luck with bark sticking to birch, because it has a lot more cohesion than adhesion, even with CA help, so this will likely end up a slick edge or burn edge piece.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2007, 6:43 PM
Looks like you got a pretty good handle on it George. I found that a weight lifting glove that leaves the fingers exposed on my left hand takes care of that and hot wood coming off the gouge.

Christopher Zona
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Never have had a lot of luck with bark sticking to birch, because it has a lot more cohesion than adhesion, even with CA help, so this will likely end up a slick edge or burn edge piece.

Do you find a difference in the time of year when the wood is harvested for the bark staying on for natural edges? I've heard that dormant periods(winter season) are best. I was just wondering if there is any truth to this.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but do warmer climates have dormant periods?

George Tokarev
03-19-2007, 6:00 AM
Dormant can be through a dry period like in the tropics, too. If it has visible annual rings it must have a period of dormancy. Seems to hold longer when there's less available food for the forces of decay located under the bark during dormancy.

In the case stuff like of birch and beech, the bark has no flakes and spaces, so it acts on its own independent of the wood. Sometimes you get wonderful bark loops attached at both ends and rising a quarter inch off in the middle. Time will tell, though from experience, chances are slim.

Bernie, I'm not a glove man. Wear them on the ambulance, of course, but that's also the reason I don't wear them around machinery.

Christopher Zona
03-19-2007, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the information.

William Bachtel
03-20-2007, 8:38 AM
Certain woods carry more water than others, like Willow, Sycamore, elm, others carry less water Ash, Locust, Osage, choosing the type of wood helps, and the time of year that you cut your tree will help keep the bark on too. After the sap run in the spring and early summer, almost no bark will stay on when the peice drys out.