PDA

View Full Version : Pecan for workbench top?

Matt Putnam
03-18-2007, 1:31 PM
I have a pretty large supply of 8/4 Pecan. Does anyone have any input (positive or negative) on using it as workbench top? I guess the main thing I'm looking for is information on it's relative hardness and how stable it is as those are the two main things in my mind that would make a good benchtop. Are there other traits I should consider?

Joe Spear
03-18-2007, 3:25 PM
It's certainly hard enough. It's a related or sub-species to hickory, and some people consider them interchangeable. It does splinter. I have used it, and once it's dry, it should be stable. Hickory has been used for baseball bats and tool handles.

Jason Hallowell
03-19-2007, 12:02 AM
There are many varieties of pecan, and while any of them will be plenty hard, not all of them will be very stable. Hickory is one of the most stable varieties. As with most fruitwoods, pecan likes to move and check until it is bone dry and stabilized to the environment, which takes longer than most woods. If the pecan you have has been in your shop for a long time, it may be stable/dry enough to use.

Jim Heffner
03-25-2007, 9:22 PM
If you could get it at a reasonable price....either hickory or rock hard maple, hard, stable and will last a lifetime! Jim