PDA

View Full Version : New old gloat

Kristian Wild
03-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I thought I'd share a good score I came across on Craig's list last week. My boss has been looking (unwillingly, mind you, at our insistance) for a decent old RAS so we can stop warping the blades on our Dewalt SCMS every time they get pinched crosscutting big boards with a bit of hidden tension in them. We needed a rough cross cut saw. So I've been keepin my eyes peeled for likely candidates at a really good price. There's so many radial arm saws out there, one was bound to turn up in my price range.

Well, last Tuesday I found a listing for a Delta 12" that "isin't working, and I don't know why" I was the second caller who wasn't afraid of giving it a try, and after a few days of playing phone tag with the first caller, he called me and said it was mine if I wanted it. It was located about an hour and a half from where I live, so with my wife along to give me a hard time and roll her eyes, we set off.

What we found was a very nice, and partly restored, Delta 40-C-L. With preliminary assistance from the gurus over on OWWM, I think it's from the mid 60's and is the Long arm version of the 40-C. There are a few knobs missing, and one rather critical column expander bolt, but otherwise it looks quite useable. Providing I can diagnose the issue with the motor that is... One of the wires inside the box on the motor looks to have shorted out to something. Hopefully nothing more than the capacitor is fried. Time will tell.

I decided that since I got such a great deal on it, and since I like the look of the old 'arn so much, that I'd keep it for my self, if and when I ever have my own shop big enough for it. It will be put into service at work as soon as we can get it running though.

Many thanks to Dave, the Vancouver police officer who didn't have the time or patience to dig any deeper into the problems of this machine. I promise I'll get it back into service!

Al Killian
03-18-2007, 3:09 PM
Nice score. You can take the motor to a decent motor house and they should be able to fix it.