PDA

View Full Version : My first real pens!

Jason Roehl
12-18-2003, 7:51 PM
Ken should be able to tell you what these are...I know what some of them are, but not all. The first pic's pens are all slimlines, in padauk, bloodwood, and ??. The second pic's pens are ??, goncalo alves, and tulipwood. Man, these are fun to make.....

Brad Schafer
12-18-2003, 7:56 PM
nothing else to say but ... nice!

Jim Becker
12-18-2003, 8:09 PM
Most awesome...and the third one is Bocoté which is a wonderful species for pens and similar turned projects. It has a great grain for "the look" and it polishes up very nicely. Great job!

Paul Downes
12-18-2003, 8:24 PM
I want to join! I want to Join! Where did ya get the kits Jason? I got to try this.

Scott Greaves
12-18-2003, 8:26 PM
Hey Jason!

Nice pens! It is fun, isn't it! :)

I agree, that third slimline pen is Bocote. Can't say for sure what the first Americana is - nice though!

Good Job!

Scott.

Jason Roehl
12-18-2003, 8:39 PM
Kevin G thinks that the top FT American is Cocobola, and he seconds the motion on the Bocote slimline.

The kits I bought off of Ken Salisbury, our esteemed Moderator, who got a bulk discount from Berea Hardwoods. That's all I know...I'm in no position to give lessons yet, I'm just getting started myself!

BTW, the padauk and bloodwood slimlines are already on their way to Alaska to some former neighbors of ours (no jokes, please :D ) as Christmas gifts. I'm gonna have a hard time givin' these away, as I like
'em, too!

And, thanks for all the compliments, guys!

Tom Sweeney
12-18-2003, 9:30 PM
Excellent job - I got to get out to the shop & turn some of these things.

They look fantastic!

Alaska eh - when you chase em away - you really chase em away :p

Sorry bud - I couldn't resist :D

John Miliunas
12-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Nice job on the pens, Jason! It may be a bit "hard" to give them away, but people get such a HUGE charge out of getting them, the look on their faces will be worth it! Trust me on this one. And yeah, they are fun to make. Instant gratification and sense of accomplishment. Ask Ken...He "accomplishes" such a feat many times over in just a couple hours! :cool:

Noah Alkinburgh
12-19-2003, 8:03 AM
J,

they are looking good. Great job. It sure is fun isn't it. I just hate the cutting and gluing part :)

My guess for the FTA was going to be Cocobola, but it seems pretty dark. Did you oil em at all?

Noah

Lee Schierer
12-19-2003, 8:10 AM
I live almost as far away as Alaska, it feels like Alaska this morning, you could send a pen here. :D Nice work.

Jason Roehl
12-19-2003, 8:12 AM
J,

they are looking good. Great job. It sure is fun isn't it. I just hate the cutting and gluing part :)

My guess for the FTA was going to be Cocobola, but it seems pretty dark. Did you oil em at all?

Noah

I don't even mind the cutting and gluing--it kind of makes it a blend of turning and flatwork that way. No oil on these babies, just Ken's recommendation of the Hut's Crystal Coat friction polish and the PPP wax stick. I may, in the future, play around with other finishes, too (I have some ideas...could be a dangerous thing!)

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-19-2003, 8:18 AM
I don't even mind the cutting and gluing--it kind of makes it a blend of turning and flatwork that way. No oil on these babies, just Ken's recommendation of the Hut's Crystal Coat friction polish and the PPP wax stick. I may, in the future, play around with other finishes, too (I have some ideas...could be a dangerous thing!)

Glad you decided to become a Pen Pal, like a lot of the rest of us. It is a great way to relax in the shop. Those pens look great. It's fun to try the different kits and see what you can do with them. You're only limited by your imagination. Enjoy.

Ron

Ken Salisbury
12-19-2003, 9:51 AM
You have properly identified the wood types (with a little help :)).
Top to bottom: Slims = padauk, bloodwood, bocote FT's = cocobola, goncola alves, tulipwood.

Ya Did Good Buddy ! ! !

Mike Maikowski
12-20-2003, 1:26 PM
Dang jason: I knew you were having fun making those pens but did not see the results till just now. man those are really neat. I like the third one best. Good you have the ole man (k) to assist you as you progress onward and upward. nice job--stay with it. You might be able to list you paint tools on e-bay one day. Mike

Jason Roehl
12-20-2003, 3:12 PM
You might be able to list you paint tools on e-bay one day. Mike

Ohhhhhhh, Mike....don't tease me like that.... :D :D :D