PDA

View Full Version : Minor Gloat........to be proud of

Tyler Howell
03-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Got hooked up with a rough crowd. Toddler Food Program is a bunch of retired volunteer engineers, craftsmen and good folks that design, build and maintain low cost food grinders. Not retired yet they needed some new blood.

These machines make a high nutrition food for the neglected age group. Those that no longer breast feed but are too young to fend for themselves.
We shipped four machines this week.
There are about fifty of these with many revisions shipped to under developed areas in Africa, South America, Dominican Republic and sadly the USA. Some are hand operated, 120/240 VAC and even one design you attach to a bicycle for pedal power.

My first impression was this will never pass an OSHA inspection. We're now testing a few belt and pulley guard ideas now.

The gloat is the metal cutting BS. It's HF quality but the price was right. It had been retired and stripped of parts after they couldn't get it to work.
I reviewed SMC BS threads, adjusted the wheels for co planer operation and replaced the motor with a spare.
I used it to cut some conduit and uni-strut this week.

There's a lot of good projects out there that can use the skills of SMC WWs like our own FPP.
If your looking for a new project, how about one that will help somebody else;)

Kristian Wild
03-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Good on ya' Tyler! That looks like an awesome way to put some mechanical knowhow and improvisation to work for a great cause.

Bill Lewis
03-19-2007, 6:22 AM
The gloat is the metal cutting BS. It's HF quality but the price was right. It had been retired and stripped of parts after they couldn't get it to work.
I reviewed SMC BS threads, adjusted the wheels for co planer operation and replaced the motor with a spare.
I used it to cut some conduit and uni-strut this week.

Tyler, I actually have the HF saw, I did some tune ups to it as well to get it to work, Check out this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20704) for more details.