PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on router table plate

David Gunn
03-18-2007, 9:57 AM
I am putting a router table on my Ridgid 3650 table saw. I will be attaching 3/4 melamine in the space on the right on the table. I have a FT1700 Frued router. I need advice on what type of router table plate to get. I thought about not getting one and just cutting a 3/8" deep circle in the underside of the melamine and just mounting the router direct. I have a plunge base (if Lowes would ever send it), so if I need it freehand I could just remove the motor.

My other options are one of these two from MLCS:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routacc1.html#All_In_One_router_plate_kit_anchor
either the all-in-one plate kit or the super-tuff router mount.

Or this one:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1385&filter=router%20table%20plate

Does anyone else know of a pre-drilled plate other than Rockler?

Jim Becker
03-18-2007, 10:02 AM
David, the Bench Dog ProPlate that came with my cast iron router top is pre-drilled. I'm about to sell it as I also bought the lift. When I go out to the shop, I'll check the list of machines to see if the FT1700 is listed and if so, I'll PM you with "a deal"...it's brand new, never used and made of heavy phenolic.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000635V6.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_AA160_.jpg

Brian Dormer
03-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Drilling a plate isn't that hard if you get a blank - just take your time and be careful.

The only plate/system I would advise caution are the PLASTIC ones from Rousseau (and MLCS) - they are made with a "hump" in the middle that's suppose to couteract gravity and flatten out under use (not an exact science). But they will give you 10 kinds of hell if you try and cut sliding dovetails (or any other precison cuts) because the table isn't flat - so I would stay away from those. Other plastic (phenolic) plates should be fine.

Metal plates are abundant as well.

Probably the biggest decision is WHAT SIZE plate you want. You can ge 9x9 and 11x11 square and a whole bunch of 8-10 x 11-12 inch plates. Pick a vendor you are comfortable with and go with their "standard" with the understanding that switching to a different "standard" down the road is going to be next to impossilbe without changing you top, plate and maybe some accessories.

FWIW - I chose to go with the Jessem (its about 9.25 x 11) plate standard, since it seemed to be the most widely used. And their Rout-R-Lift FX (which I have) is that size.

Check out Eagle America, WoodPeckers and Rockler to get an idea of what's out there.

Bill Bolen
03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Ditto Brians post above. I tried one of those plastic plates and had a heck of a time ! I switched to the Rockler plate you have the link to and am 100% satsified.
Bill

Steve Clardy
03-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I have 5 of the rockler plates.
If I need another, I'll buy another rockler.

No sag

scott spencer
03-18-2007, 12:23 PM
The only aftermarket plate I've owned is the Hartville. It worked well enough on my MW5625 that I bought one for my FT1700...they've both been great. Stiff, reasonable, easily adjustable, easy to drill, etc.

glenn bradley
03-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I have two Rockler plates, one holding a 13 lb router, no problems. Jim's offer sounds like a good deal if it is pre-drilled for your router, even better. I drilled my own first plate and it was "OK". I had my second plate CNC'd at a local machine shop for $20. It's perfect.

You will want to reinforce your 3/4" table. My 7/8" MDF table eventually sagged even with the vendor supplied support frame in place. If you build a frame that provides support right up to the edges of your plate hole and extend to the side frame, you should be fine. I used a double thickness of 3/4 ply to surround my plate hole. Maybe overkill but after the sag issue I thought why not?

Speaking of plate v.s. a hole in the table; I would go plate. If you drill a 1" hole you can't run larger bits. If you drill a hole large enough for big bits you have no support around the smaller bits.

Jim Becker
03-18-2007, 9:35 PM
David, the plate I mentioned above is pre-drilled compatable with your Freud FT1700 router. I'm sending a PM with a "good deal"...

David Gunn
03-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Jim I sent you a pm.