PDA

View Full Version : Sound Equipment Cabinet for Church

John DeVan
03-18-2007, 8:40 AM
Good morning,

This is my first contribution to the forum, although I've been a real fan of all of your projects and discussions for a few months. Thank you all for your contributions which help all of us enjoy this wonderful hobby even more.

This is my winter project. It is a cabinet to house the sound and video equipment in our church. It consists of a video station, an equipment rack, a sound mixing station, a recording station and a significant cabling compartment. I just recently finished it and installed it last weekend. There are a few nail holes to fill and some minor adjustments required. I tried my best to reduce the size of the photo files. (I'm a little new at this).

John DeVan
03-18-2007, 8:42 AM
Here are a few more photos of the sound cabinet

Jim Becker
03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
That was a lot of well-executed work, John! And...a nice way to jump onto the posting side of SMC! Welcome.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Well done! That should buy you a front seat ticket in church!

How did you make the tambour?

Also, for future reference...there's a neat program called Pixresizer that's available as a free download. Just do a google. It converts picture file types (bmp, jpg, tif, etc) and changes the resolution. When posting on the web, I usually use jpg and a resolution of about 1,000x.

Again, nice job...Jeff :)

John DeVan
03-19-2007, 9:02 AM
Jeffrey,

Thanks for the advice on Pixresizer. I'll use it next time. I had a difficult time reducing the photo file size without it.

On the tambour, ... bought it from Woodworker's Hardware. ...

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Wood%20Products/CatID/Tambour%20Sheet%20Material%20and%20Track/showprod/1

Thanks for the kind words. I like church projects. The pay is not great but the retirement is out of this world!

Art Mulder
03-19-2007, 9:11 AM
Hey John, great job.

Are there any access panels behind the pew for "rear access" to the cables?
Also, did you put any active or passive ventilation into the equipment cabinet?

Just curious.
...art

John DeVan
03-19-2007, 6:17 PM
Art, The raised panels each come out for access to the cabling compartment. (velcro was used as a fastening means ... works great!) ... also there are hinged cabinet doors beneath each knee space to access the cabling comparments. The top space of the component rack is reserved for a rack fan. ... but after the first Sunday of operation we discovered very little heat gain, so I may just fabricate a grill for that top space and not use a fan. Thanks.