PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat - Power Respirator

Benjimin Young
03-18-2007, 8:33 AM
First off, thanks to all for your great input and suggestions in my earlier email.

I purchased this Triton unit at the Canadian Woodworking show in Toronto early this month and am very happy with it. Got a great deal at $199 CND. I especially like the integrated ear muffs that easily lock in an open position when you dont want them on. The only downside is the face seems to refract the view a little at certain angles. Combined with my dust collector and air filter, I feel much more protected (lungs, eyes and ears) working at my hobbies these days.

Ben

Jerry Mah
03-18-2007, 4:20 PM
First off, thanks to all for your great input and suggestions in my earlier email.

I purchased this Triton unit at the Canadian Woodworking show in Toronto early this month and am very happy with it. Got a great deal at $199 CND. I especially like the integrated ear muffs that easily lock in an open position when you dont want them on. The only downside is the face seems to refract the view a little at certain angles. Combined with my dust collector and air filter, I feel much more protected (lungs, eyes and ears) working at my hobbies these days.

Ben
Ben-

How do you like it? Give us more info! I'm interested in this product. Was that 199cdn with taxes included?

Benjimin Young
03-19-2007, 5:55 PM
Hi Jerry, here is a little more detail.

The $199 CND price is before our provincial and VAT tax and was a woodshow special price. Busybeetools is current advertising it for $229 CND in their flyer

It fits well and feels comfortable, a little awkward getting the whole unit on and off but I suspect I'll get better at it after a while. As with any "hat" it keeps the head warmth in, even with the airflow so I'm not sure how it will feel on the hot summer days. Breathing is fresh and easy. The ear protection works great and is easy to lift to the open position when you don’t need it. The face shield is strong, flips up easily but not quit enough to make drinking coffee an easy task. The lens does not fog up and the field of view is very good. On the bad side, the lens refracts the view a little from certain angles. The hose at the back is comfortable except to get use to the fact that my head is now much bigger in tight corners. The unit is very bright yellow so you can’t hide in the shop or anywhere else when you have it on.

The pre-filter is washable and the canister filters are standard size. The unit comes with a devise to easily and quickly test if the filter needs cleaning or if the battery is too weak to pump sufficient air. The 4-hour battery running time seems accurate but needs to charge overnight. I only have one battery pack which is built from the usual C sized rechargeables. The on/off switch is on the bottom of the battery pack and a little awkward to feel for but again, I suspect practice will fix that. All in all I am very pleased with the unit and wearing it is becoming a normal part of my show routine when I plan on using power tools. I will need to designate/build a special clean spot in the shop to store and charge it.

I give it a 9 out of 10.

Ben