PDA

View Full Version : Last night I had never heard of the Festool circular saw--today I have one!

Stan Tillinghast
03-18-2007, 12:32 AM
I found references to the Festool saw when searching for advice on buying table saws. Here on Sawmill Creek I kept seeing references to the Festool, and looked into it more with web searches.
Yesterday I had some rip cuts I needed to make in some pressure-treated lumber, and the wimpy Kity K-5 combo in my garage literally wouldn't cut it. My Saw Boss circular saw was without rip guide and I had no good straightedge. I was looking at reviews of contractor's saws when I saw the mentions of the Festool.

Today I drove an hour and a half each way to pick up an AT55. Actually I'm getting a package with the 1080 MFT which will be arriving in a few days. With an extra 55 inch guide, the saw made the cuts with no drama, more important with an extremely good feeling of control and safety.
I then cut some plain CDX plywood; the cuts look like they came out of an extremely fine table saw, practically like they came out of a jointer.
I am extremely happy with this 'discovery' that I made thanks to the Sawmill Creek forum.
I look forward to learning more and gradually improving my woodworking skills.
Thanks.

Steven Evans
03-18-2007, 12:55 AM
So now you had a taste, start saving for the rest of the systems. I have the CT-33 Vacuum. It makes using there tools such a joy. You will soon be a Festool addict like those who have dared to touch Festools before you. I have been looking at getting the AT55 or a AT75 not sure which. I have there sanders, table, routers already.

sascha gast
03-18-2007, 1:23 AM
that is exactly what happened to me. hated the dewalt sander I had, got 2 Festool ones, went back the week after and stocked up. I am ready to get a few more to complete the set, I love the quality.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/55/652955/1/75270438.7MjCvaaJ._LAX4687copy.jpg

Per Swenson
03-18-2007, 2:44 AM
Welcome Stan,

Slippery slope now.

I sent you a private message

with a link to a great Festool resource.

Per

Roy Clarke
03-18-2007, 3:26 AM
So now you had a taste, start saving for the rest of the systems. I have the CT-33 Vacuum. It makes using there tools such a joy. You will soon be a Festool addict like those who have dared to touch Festools before you. I have been looking at getting the AT55 or a AT75 not sure which. I have there sanders, table, routers already.

Seems the AT range is replaced bt the TS now. I have the TS55, I feel I should have bought the TS75 so its there when I need it.

Don Bullock
03-18-2007, 7:48 AM
That's one Festool product that I plan to buy as soon as I can. Congratulations . It's a great choice for what you want it for.

Jim Becker
03-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Listen to Per...and congratulations on your "first" Festool! :D :D :D

Joe Spear
03-18-2007, 3:33 PM
It would be blasphemy to cut pressure treated wood with a Festool.

Rick Peek
03-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Seems the AT range is replaced bt the TS now. I have the TS55, I feel I should have bought the TS75 so its there when I need it.
I bought the TS75. Works great,but its kind of heavy for most
jobs. I went with the TS75 because I always cheap out and
then regret it later.

Mark Carlson
03-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Stan,

It starts with the saw. Then the sanders and vac. Then the router. They sell cordless drills I have to have one. Whats this domino thing. I love all my other festools so lets get that too. Have fun with the saw and welcome to SMC.

~mark

Don Bullock
03-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Do all the Festool products require 220 or will some run on 110?

Dan Clark
03-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Do all the Festool products require 220 or will some run on 110?
AFAIK, ALL run on 110 (at least in the US).

Dan.

Stan Tillinghast
03-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Joe, I knew I should have not mentioned about cutting pressure-treated wood. I should have said pao ferro, I guess. :D

Loren Hedahl
03-19-2007, 1:59 AM
[quote=Stan Tillinghast]I found references to the Festool saw when searching for advice on buying table saws. Here on Sawmill Creek I kept seeing references to the Festool, and looked into it more with web searches.
Yesterday I had some rip cuts I needed to make in some pressure-treated lumber, and the wimpy Kity K-5 combo in my garage literally wouldn't cut it. My Saw Boss circular saw was without rip guide and I had no good straightedge. I was looking at reviews of contractor's saws when I saw the mentions of the Festool.

Stan

I have no idea what a Kity K-5 combo is.

I really don't have a need to know, just curious.

Loren

Stan Tillinghast
03-19-2007, 2:05 AM
Kity tools are made in France; they used to be imported to the US by a guy named Jeff Ferris, IIRC. The K-5 is a mini combo machine with a single 1.5 hp induction motor. Changing belt connections changes from table saw to shaper to jointer/planer. It's fine for small work, and produces pretty nice cuts. But it's dreadfully underpowered for larger pieces of wood. I bought it in a moment of weakness at a woodworking show years ago. :o

Vijay Kumar
03-19-2007, 2:06 PM
Welcome Stan,

Slippery slope now.

I sent you a private message

with a link to a great Festool resource.

Per

Per,

Could you post this great Festool resource? Or pm me. I am about to embark on a sander and ?? The slippery slope starts I think.

Thanks

Vijay

Steve Roxberg
03-19-2007, 2:12 PM
Vijay, you have a PM with the web address for the Festoolownersgroup forum.

Vijay Kumar
03-20-2007, 1:03 AM
Vijay, you have a PM with the web address for the Festoolownersgroup forum.

Thanks for the info.