PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Bat Wood

Ronald L Cool
03-18-2007, 12:00 AM
i Made 2 Ash Baseball Bat's From ash both of them cracked so i guess i not getting the right grain is there other good wood for bat's with better grain

Curt Fuller
03-18-2007, 1:05 AM
You didn't say much about the wood other than it was ash. But I believe Louisville Sluggers are made from ash so I think it's probably the type of wood you want to use. Maybe yours wasn't as well dried as it should have been or could have had a little pith or some other defect in it. I'd bet that if you went to the baseball bat factory their blanks are premium wood to start with and have been kiln dried and air dried for some time before they turn them into bats. I've always wanted to turn a warped bat. I figure if the bat wasn't where I think it is I might hit the ball a little more often.

Johnathan Bussom
03-18-2007, 1:18 AM
Curt, one good laugh a day keeps me going, now if you really want a warped one I'll turn one on this antique lathe in the garage while it is cold, might not be warped but it will be egg shaped, as long as you get the wide side towards the ball you will have more hitting surface.

John

BTW, I think ash is the standard for baseball bats!

William Fourness
03-18-2007, 1:26 AM
Yes most wooden bats are made from White Ash. I can still remember my granddad with a soup can, pencil, wedge and splitting maul, splitting White Ash for bat blanks. We have an White Ash mill near by that does nothing but White Ash dowels, spindles, bats and such. I split a couple White Ash for a customer to do a father and son bats for a gift, and there still swinging hard with them. That was probably two years ago. I am thinking there was pith in the wood you spun.
How did the blanks look to you?

Bill

Brett Baldwin
03-18-2007, 2:31 AM
Ronald, I haven't tried a bat yet but as I understand it you want as straight a grain as possible. As the others have said, Ash is a common bat wood as well as tool handles from hammers to axes. Other woods you could try are Hickory and Hard Maple. I've seen bat blanks at Rockler if you want to try those.

Jonathon Spafford
03-18-2007, 3:58 AM
I would definitely say that straight grain without knots and defects is key here! Check the bats out... I would bet they would have cracked along the grain. Try breaking a piece of wood that is crosscut verses ripped and you'll see the importance of straight grain!

George Tokarev
03-18-2007, 8:14 AM
I remember being harassed and harassing other little leaguers about having the label toward the batter. Puts the probable point of impact on the quarter grain rather than the face, as memory serves. Not sure if that really makes a difference or not. Theory says less spring, and less split.

What does make a difference is not having an annual ring run across or nearly across the bat, especially where it's narrow. Betting they rive the wood green and cure it to keep things running true N to S rather than E-W. Should be lots of strength. Green wood will work, but the bat, as mentioned, will oval, favoring the quarter grain proud of the face. Imagine if you hit with green wood the "crack" would be more of a "thunk," though still ahead of that clang you get from aluminum.

John Shuk
03-18-2007, 8:55 AM
Lots of bats are made of maple these days too.

Ronald L Cool
03-18-2007, 9:33 AM
The Bat Wood Was Air Dryed And Kiled Dryed Maybe i can get at picture of it and but it on the post

William Bachtel
03-18-2007, 9:39 AM
Yes most wooden bats are made from White Ash. I can still remember my granddad with a soup can, pencil, wedge and splitting maul, splitting White Ash for bat blanks. We have an White Ash mill near by that does nothing but White Ash dowels, spindles, bats and such. I split a couple White Ash for a customer to do a father and son bats for a gift, and there still swinging hard with them. That was probably two years ago. I am thinking there was pith in the wood you spun.
How did the blanks look to you?

Bill Can you gets us a phone number of the White Ash Mill in your area we may be able to get some bat blanks for them. Or at least the directions and a name of the mill Thanks.

William Fourness
03-18-2007, 4:01 PM
Sure I can get you there information so time tomorrow, but I am pretty sure they only do commerical orders. But I'll give a call over in the morning and check out the details for you.

Bill

William Bachtel
03-18-2007, 4:10 PM
This would be a commerical order.

Pete Jordan
03-18-2007, 7:51 PM
This is who I ordered bat blanks from and they were great.

http://www.GoneBatty.net

Ronald L Cool
03-18-2007, 8:24 PM
I Have Made two baseball bats out of the same wood first one in pic busted60617 any help wood be great

George Tokarev
03-19-2007, 6:09 AM
Looks like those Little Leaguers were right. Rived (split) stock will keep you from the situation, and you'll want to burn your logo on the face grain to help the kids out.

Ronald L Cool
03-19-2007, 9:07 AM
pete thanks for the info